Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oil drain plug ?! (trying to change oil)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:09 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

It is interesting...Audi's own maintenance manual specifically calls for extraction on the 4 & 6 cylinder models. Presumably since the filter is already on the top.

"Use a flexible extracting sensor with the largest diameter available.
♦ Use the extracting device only until you encounter resistance.
Otherwise, the tip can get deflected at the bottom of the oil
pan, causing a large amount of used engine oil to remain in
the engine.
♦ Proceed according to the extraction device owner's manual."

The manual only specifically states draining oil out of the bottom drain on the V8 but since that is were the filter is anyway it makes sense.

For solaaudiguy if you want to remove the cover plate (noise insulation) on the bottom anyway it should hopefully be the same as the S6 and you will need a quarter (yes $0.25) to turn the quick-release fasteners (there are 7 total 3-front 4 sides). A T30 torx bit for the three rear fasteners and an M10 triplesquare for the 4 bolts on the sides. (They certainly do want to keep that thing on their tight. )
BTW torque specs are 20Nm for the triplesquare and 3.5Nm for the torx.
Hope that helps, and ,yes, I did just do an oil change yesterday.

Last edited by gk1; 07-22-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

there is a drain plug on both engines (I am pretty sure)

ECS sells a magnetic drain plug, I have it, works well (I like the regular bolt vs a hex)

I never use those extractor.....cant trust them and I have hear some horror stories about those...matter of fact....didn't one of the forum member here got the extractor stuck and had to remove the oil pan to get the tub out?

I can usually do the oil change in and out within 10 mins (oil and filter)

filter is up top (right back of the engine when you are facing the hood) torq spec is written on the cap...pretty straight forward. I like how Audi finally decided to put the filters up top like most BMW and Mercedes engines (soooooo much easier) and a lot less messy
Old 07-22-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts
Default in MA:

Originally Posted by snagitseven
what do you DIY guys do with the old oil once it's extracted?

Management Options

Used Oil:
  • Return used oil for recycling to the store where you purchased it. Retailers are required to accept used oil for recycling (up to two gallons per person per day) if you have the purchase receipt.
  • Take your used oil to a municipal collection center, if available.
  • Some service stations and repair shops that do not sell motor oil but burn the oil to heat their garage will take back used oil from residents.*
  • Certain quick oil change chains accept used oil. Check the Yellow Pages online for a location near you.
  • Used the MassDEP Oil Hotline: 617-556-1022. Also use this number to report retailers who are unwilling to accept used oil from customers who have receipts.

*this is what I do
Old 09-06-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torque Value

Yes, it's stamped on top of the oil filter holder, it's in nm (Newton meters)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
Did you find the drain plug? My 2012 q5 had a drain plug. I hope someone chimes in. I ordered a 2013 A6 2.0 and would also like to know. I do all my own oil service. 1k, then 5k then every 5k. Mobil 1 0-40 with Mahn filter. I hope there is a drain plug! I have always been concerned about extraction methods. On an oil change gravity is your friend.
You go to Home Depot or Napa or somewhere like that and by yourself and oil siphoner.. don't buy a cheap one cuz those do not hold suction, but you got to suck it out through the oil dipstick. It's in the front of the motor on the 3.0 tfsi size with supercharger they just have a dipstick cap pop that off chevre the tube down the hole until you hit the bottom of the motor cut the tube suction off and prime it and then undo the pin that holds the suction and watch the oil flow out of your motor