A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How audible is the cruise control module click when CC is set?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
Yeah but the problem is I can't find the stupid module on my 2000 A6 i took the glove compartment right out and it wasn't there .. just an airbag .. then i took the drivers side cover off .. nothing there either ... this is sooo frustrating ..
Please see my post over here: http://www.audiforums.com/forum/show...=1#post1219157 (even though I think i'm responding to you over there haha)

Last edited by nm3210; 07-02-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks i just checked it out and you may have answered my question .. it must be integrated..
Old 07-05-2010, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just completed this repair tonight and it worked perfectly, gotta love free fixes. Thanks to whoever figured this out and took all the pictures!! Also the clicking is audible while driving with the glovebox sitting in the floor but once it is reinstalled the click is virtually silent.

To add a little info, the bolts securing the module in my '99 were 8mm just like the glove box mounting bolts.

There is a small metal connector on the board(visible in the pic of the three red capacitors)that seems to press against the module housing and use it as a ground(?) make sure this piece of metal is making a good contact to the housing. There is a big black capacitor in the pic in the bottom left corner, just to the right and down, on the edge of the board protruding down.

The solder around the capacitor connections on my module were in excellent condition and I couldn't see any signs of failure so just because they look good doesn't mean they are, it only takes one or two of those connections to cause a problem.

If your cruise isn't working this is definitely worth checking into, its quick and easy and free! Now we'll have to see how long it lasts!

Last edited by sqplus; 07-05-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the fix. I was excited to get this done. I was still excited when I removed the two screws under the dash and three screws inside the glovebox and the assemble folded down to the floor exposing the cruise control module. I took off the two bolts that secured the module and skipped happy into the house to begin the repair. I bent the little tabs that hold the module together and open the box and pulled out the board. My heart kind of sank when I located the three capacitors and saw that they were nicely secured in place. My mind started racing that something else was wrong with my cruise control system. I decided to go ahead and put the heat to the connection anyway, I heated each one with a little flux on the tip of the soldering iron. I sadly and put the board back in the box and closed everything up and started to think of what else could be the problem. I put the module back in the car and secured the glovebox back in place, then start the car to go for a little test drive. To my amazement and joy the cruise control performed like a champ! So when you take the module apart and it doesn't look like there is no problem with the connection don't give up! This is a great fix and I thank you for the post and send a thumbs up to the Audi community for sharing solutions to maintain our wonderful cars. Have a great day gang!!!

Joel
Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jojobeat
Thanks for the fix. I was excited to get this done. I was still excited when I removed the two screws under the dash and three screws inside the glovebox and the assemble folded down to the floor exposing the cruise control module. I took off the two bolts that secured the module and skipped happy into the house to begin the repair. I bent the little tabs that hold the module together and open the box and pulled out the board. My heart kind of sank when I located the three capacitors and saw that they were nicely secured in place. My mind started racing that something else was wrong with my cruise control system. I decided to go ahead and put the heat to the connection anyway, I heated each one with a little flux on the tip of the soldering iron. I sadly and put the board back in the box and closed everything up and started to think of what else could be the problem. I put the module back in the car and secured the glovebox back in place, then start the car to go for a little test drive. To my amazement and joy the cruise control performed like a champ! So when you take the module apart and it doesn't look like there is no problem with the connection don't give up! This is a great fix and I thank you for the post and send a thumbs up to the Audi community for sharing solutions to maintain our wonderful cars. Have a great day gang!!!

Joel
You often cannot see the microcracks on a cold solder joint, even though the board was wave soldered at the factory, the metal can change or those particular capacitor leads may have been contaminated before or during the component insertion process.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

When re-soldering the points on this picture below, am I:
1.) re-soldering the ~3~ pairs of points together
or 2.) re-soldering each of the ~6~ points?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

6 individual point. Don't solder them together.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great thread! Good job guys I wish it was a way to like and share like on FB to reference this easier later. Maybe submit this to the moderator to ad to the DIY section
Old 02-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any ideas where this might be on a 2001 MK1? I removed the glove box and it's not there.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikebuzz
Any ideas where this might be on a 2001 MK1? I removed the glove box and it's not there.
You have drive by wire, the cruise control is integrated into the engine computer logic. If you dont have cruise its the turn signal stalk, or the brake pedal switch. Also certain check engine faults can disable cruise control I have found.

For anybody else skimming over this, this whole thread about the module is only for A4, A6, A8, 1999 and before with a throttle cable. If you have a drive by wire car there will be NO module.