A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Keep blowing the fuse for windows, dome lights and sunroof. What's wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=RafaTT;23900175]My 02 A6 Q 3.0 had the same issue, light out, doors open sign on the ICluster, the doors lock everytime you speed up above 10 MPH and so on. I took it Audi (it had warranty) and the tech said that he could not replicate the failiure, only a bad fuse (#14 IIRC) and the "normal answer" we all know. Well, after a few months I got fed up and decided to check on this. The problem is in the drivers seat harness. On the driver's seat, there are 3 connectors underneath next to the console side. From this 3 connectors, 2 of them are multipins (and i don't remember the colors.. yellow
Old 06-07-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=RafaTT;23900175]My 02 A6 Q 3.0 had the same issue, light out, doors open sign on the ICluster, the doors lock everytime you speed up above 10 MPH and so on. I took it Audi (it had warranty) and the tech said that he could not replicate the failiure, only a bad fuse (#14 IIRC) and the "normal answer" we all know. Well, after a few months I got fed up and decided to check on this. The problem is in the drivers seat harness. On the driver's seat, there are 3 connectors underneath next to the console side. From this 3 connectors, 2 of them are multipins (and i don't remember the colors.. yellow
Old 07-07-2016, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Fix my problem tonight. It took a few days. The number 14 fuse was blowing. I did the seat trick no luck took the doors off no luck. Replaced the ecc no luck. Oh ecc comfort control was only 6 bucks at the bone yard. It was brand new. Anyway my passenger sun visor wire was grounded out on the metal. When it got hot was when my fuse would blow. I replaced the section of wires and boom. Just what the doctor ordered. So I has to be a stupid ground some place.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Dome light was my problem

I was having the same issue, but for me it was that one of the dome light bulbs had become disconnected at one end and was touching the heat shield above causing a short. So, just popping the bulb back in place solved the problem.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

So yesterday I was enjoying my drive and suddenly I started smelling something like plastic burning. I thought the smell was coming from the outside but the smell got worse and then smoke started coming out of the dashboard, driver's side. I almost panicked. Stopped the car, popped the hood, nothing. The smoke was coming indeed from the dashboard through the left AC vent and was intensifying. Immediately thought of fuse box. Opened the fuse box and there was it.

The freaking fuse #14 I replaced a while ago is a fake one. It did not blow, got super hot, melted and was about to burn my car to the ground!!! Quickly removed the damn thing and made sure to stop the progression of the burning. I was lucky I was in the car when it happened. I will never buy fuses on the local market again!

Picture: Burnt fuse 14 slot

I removed the fuse 13 which is also 10A and placed it in the slot 14 and it blew right away. I drove home and googled the issue and found this thread. I had genuine fuses I recently bought in Germany but I did not use them at first. I used one of the fake fuses to test the system. I plug it in, wait 2 seconds, unplug it and check its temperature. If it's hot, it means the short is still there, if not, the problem is gone.

I first tried unplugging the black plug under the driver's seat as suggested by people here. I also unplugged the one on the passenger's side. No improvement. I kept them unplugged.

Picture: Under the driver's seat. Cord unplugged.

Next, I went on and checked the driver's side sun visor. Removed it and checked the cables. All good.

Removed dome lights housings and checked the cables. All good.

Started to lose hope and thought I was going to have to remove the headliner, again. I replaced the headliner fabric a while ago and I started thinking maybe I did something wrong.

Thought about checking out the passenger's side sun visor and... THERE was it!!! The culprit! See below for yourselves.

I couldn't even unplug it because the plug probably melted. I had to disconnect it from the source then cut it. I never use the light under the passenger sun visor anyways and it's not that important. I just taped the ends and made sure they don't touch each other.

Tested the system and it worked. The fake fuse did not warm up. I placed a genuine fuse and it did not blow. Now the dome lights are working, windows, everything is working.

I plugged the plugs under the seats back in and everything kept working well.
Thanks Boston Driver and All of you for your inputs. I hope mine with pictures would add more to this useful thread.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Good catch!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad you found it. I hate electrical problems. Takes a lot of patience and time and thinking. Sure helps when you have a thread like this one. Thanks for posting your find.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello I had the same problem,
No sign of recent or past water on the "convenience comfort module" under the carpet... after different non efficient tries, I finally tried your idea of the sun visor...
I found some badly crushed wires on the passenger sun visor, repaired them, protected them with electrical tape.
For the time being it is working but I wait before shouting for victory...
And also especially because I still have some light issues even if the widows are working etc...

1 Door closed, most often all the roof lights are not working at all in any mode even the small reading lights. It's working only when the doors are open.
2 If I open the passenger door alone, no roof or door lights they are only operated by the driver door
3 In my car the sun visor lights are not working at all How are they working normally ? Do they normally lit when you pull down the visors

Could that be the sign of a dying "convenience comfort module" ?

Thank you for this thread, your replies and Ideas
Old 06-30-2018, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pixray
Hello I had the same problem,
No sign of recent or past water on the "convenience comfort module" under the carpet... after different non efficient tries, I finally tried your idea of the sun visor...
I found some badly crushed wires on the passenger sun visor, repaired them, protected them with electrical tape.
For the time being it is working but I wait before shouting for victory...
And also especially because I still have some light issues even if the widows are working etc...

1 Door closed, most often all the roof lights are not working at all in any mode even the small reading lights. It's working only when the doors are open.
2 If I open the passenger door alone, no roof or door lights they are only operated by the driver door
3 In my car the sun visor lights are not working at all How are they working normally ? Do they normally lit when you pull down the visors

Could that be the sign of a dying "convenience comfort module" ?

Thank you for this thread, your replies and Ideas
for #1 and #2, those could be symptoms of a bad door latch. If you unlock your doors, and open one of those other doors (but not the driver door), does the car auto-lock again after 30 seconds or so? If that’s the case, then your car is not sensing the doors opening. The latches on these cars are known to be an issue.

for #3, those visor lights light up when you pull a visor down and open a mirror.

glad you at least found the source of the pinched wire...but these electrical gremlins can drive a person crazy. Good luck!