A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rear Brake Bleed, Parking Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
The brakes are 'working" fine, just not as firm as I 'thought' they were before the rotors and pads.

Also, the first press after having the parking brake set and released seems a little further (why I was thinking there was a parking adjustment step I might have missed)

Someday I might get a pressure bleeder, as they seem to be more important now that everything has ABS.

I may just get a suction bleeder and pull another few OZ out and see what happens.

Maybe I am being too picky.
On my car, the parking brake is a manual brake handle in the middle of front seats. Some have electronic parking brakes for that you'd have to use VAG-COM or like tool to adjust. In my case, initially, the travel is high but subsequent pulls bring it back to where it was. Because it is supposed to self-adjust.

The softness on the pedal could be due to new pads seating in OR there is air in the system.

To sleep better at night, the simple thing to do is a complete flush like I mentioned in previous posts. No need for any vacuums or special brake bleeder tools. A small hose, wrench and 3 cans of fluid is all you really need. Ok, maybe a helper to pump brakes while you watch the bubbles...

Seriously, I am just as picky (if not worse) so, do what I did and you won't have any issues.

Personally, I am very cautious about brakes more than anything else on my car (well, that and cleanliness of the windshield/mirrors).
Old 09-12-2014, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

After reading about the potential problems of bleeding brakes the old fashioned way (2 people, one at the brake opening and closing the valve, and one pumping the brake pedal) I bought a pressure bleeder. Gotta say that I was amazed at how simple the bleeding process became. I was hesitant to buy yet another tool as I am cheap and just didn't want another specialized tool.

Just like I forced myself to use one of those $10 universal cubes to back in the caliper piston. Oh I hated that. Finally bought the proper tool. What a difference. Now doing brakes is much quicker and I don't hate the job.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, the Motive is ordered.

If I flush 3 cars and save a can of fluid each, I have paid off the tool.

Well, almost, I still have the issue with "Yet another box showing up on the doorstep" that I have to explain to my wife.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the rear brakes are not that useless. I agree. But adjusting the parking brake has nothing to do with how the brake pedal feels. You prolly know that and you're just mentioning it as an extra PITA. But the only reason you would want to adjust the parking brake is if the pads are low. Not after you bleed. Just my 2 cents. If you have air in the line adjusting the parking brake cable won't take care of the issue
Old 09-12-2014, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If she is no longer required to assist in the 2 person bleed then she may accept the box. Otherwise, get a bid from your local indy to bleed all three cars. Plus the time and hassle of jockeying the cars to/from. Surly the box is the lesser of evils.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by indoor
Yeah, the rear brakes are not that useless. I agree. But adjusting the parking brake has nothing to do with how the brake pedal feels. You prolly know that and you're just mentioning it as an extra PITA. But the only reason you would want to adjust the parking brake is if the pads are low. Not after you bleed. Just my 2 cents. If you have air in the line adjusting the parking brake cable won't take care of the issue
Typically with Disk brakes I would not expect the parking to have an effect, but it just "seems" that applying and releasing the parking brake affects the peddle feel. Was thinking maybe after turning in the rear piston, I missed a step.

The parking brake handle works OK, but pulls up a tad more then I like. Is there and easy adjustment?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
After reading about the potential problems of bleeding brakes the old fashioned way (2 people, one at the brake opening and closing the valve, and one pumping the brake pedal) I bought a pressure bleeder. Gotta say that I was amazed at how simple the bleeding process became. I was hesitant to buy yet another tool as I am cheap and just didn't want another specialized tool.

Just like I forced myself to use one of those $10 universal cubes to back in the caliper piston. Oh I hated that. Finally bought the proper tool. What a difference. Now doing brakes is much quicker and I don't hate the job.
I never close the bleeder valve until I am ready to tighten it for good. Because, air never gets in there to begin with if you use a good length hose. So, it's easy to just pump and check liquid and when ready, tighten and remove the hose. That's it.

Still, I agree with you on this. Tools definitely make the job easier, faster and safer. Sometimes, the tools don't do what they are supposed to and that's where I revert to old methods. Take Oil filter in my 4.2 for example. There are so many filter removal tools but with space constraints, getting them and turning/removing them is a PIA. You know what works? A big old Adjustable pliers - every single time! just my $0.02.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Typically with Disk brakes I would not expect the parking to have an effect, but it just "seems" that applying and releasing the parking brake affects the peddle feel. Was thinking maybe after turning in the rear piston, I missed a step.

The parking brake handle works OK, but pulls up a tad more then I like. Is there and easy adjustment?
I never had to "adjust" parking brake. After driving normal for a bit and using brakes, the parking brake handle comes back to its original tension/height. Curious to know what you find out about this.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the Motive is ordered.

If I flush 3 cars and save a can of fluid each, I have paid off the tool.

Well, almost, I still have the issue with "Yet another box showing up on the doorstep" that I have to explain to my wife.
Even if I never use my Powerbleeder again, it was money well spent, especially because I know the job was done right... Now if only it was easier to order the blue ATE fluid still to make the bleeds easier to notice in the US.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gsrob
Even if I never use my Powerbleeder again, it was money well spent, especially because I know the job was done right... Now if only it was easier to order the blue ATE fluid still to make the bleeds easier to notice in the US.
Unless you are racing, it just isn't that critical.

Change it ever 2 years and even 4 year old fluid is not that bad, and there will certainly be nothing older the 4 years anywhere in the system.