A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Seized Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized Engine

So I posted a few days ago about there being a hole on top of the tranny where a bolt could fall down into. The reason I asked this is because I was recently doing some work with the intake manifold off. Now before you say anything, I am 100% positive nothing went into the cylinders via the valve openings.
However, The only thing that did for sure enter the cylinders with opened cs was some starting fluid (I sprayed to get a little bit of dirt off one of the valves)
So hydro-lock is a possibility, I just don't know how likely.

As for that pesky bolt I dropped... I actually lost 2 bolts behind the engine/above the tranny. I just don't see where it could have entered the bell-housing and jammed up the flywheel???

Also when I put a breaker bar on the crank it does not move one way or the other AT ALL.

Im hoping someone out there has a golden nugget they could throw my way.

If not, Im going to start today by pulling the alternator 1st ( thats gonna be a tough job) and after that Ill be slowly pulling that tranny back, and if not still. I will have to pull that flywheel.

ANY help would be massively appreciated.

thanks
Phil
Old 08-28-2015, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default have you tried the borescope/endoscope?

Originally Posted by Philhawtin
So I posted a few days ago about there being a hole on top of the tranny where a bolt could fall down into. The reason I asked this is because I was recently doing some work with the intake manifold off. Now before you say anything, I am 100% positive nothing went into the cylinders via the valve openings.
However, The only thing that did for sure enter the cylinders with opened cs was some starting fluid (I sprayed to get a little bit of dirt off one of the valves)
So hydro-lock is a possibility, I just don't know how likely.

As for that pesky bolt I dropped... I actually lost 2 bolts behind the engine/above the tranny. I just don't see where it could have entered the bell-housing and jammed up the flywheel???

Also when I put a breaker bar on the crank it does not move one way or the other AT ALL.

Im hoping someone out there has a golden nugget they could throw my way.

If not, Im going to start today by pulling the alternator 1st ( thats gonna be a tough job) and after that Ill be slowly pulling that tranny back, and if not still. I will have to pull that flywheel.

ANY help would be massively appreciated.

thanks
Phil
Hydrolock is unlikely, especially if you pull all the plugs.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Hydrolock is unlikely, especially if you pull all the plugs.
X2 - loosen the plugs a couple of turns to eliminate the possibility and allow air to escape on the compression stroke when turning the engine over by hand
Old 08-28-2015, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize. I have the manifold back off, the injectors out and plugs out. Still stuck as a stoner.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I doubt if the engine is seized…jammed probably.

Originally Posted by Philhawtin
I apologize. I have the manifold back off, the injectors out and plugs out. Still stuck as a stoner.
I would try to turn it backwards using a pry bar at the flex plate from underneath. Turning it backwards at the crank bolt will just back it out.

Removing the starter before you take out the transmission seems like a better idea than removing the transmission. Remember with an automatic you have to support the transmission then remove the TC bolts to the flex plate. If you can't turn the flexplate/engine, you'll have a much worse time pulling the transmission out and leaving the TC attached to the flex plate. Even then you'll have to unbolt the TC from the flex plate which may be very difficult.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-28-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

okay stupid question .. have you tried fishing down that hole in the top of the bell housing with a magnet or a borescope ? I realize if there is a bolt down there it may be jammed but If you could see ift down there with a borescope it may help.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

CrazyFire® 2.0MP HD 720P Coms 6 LEDs USB Snake Inspection Camera Waterproof Borescope Snake Digital USB Video Camera Pipe Locator: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific CrazyFire® 2.0MP HD 720P Coms 6 LEDs USB Snake Inspection Camera Waterproof Borescope Snake Digital USB Video Camera Pipe Locator: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific