Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 soft top problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
Your Cab is fairly new, right? Are you having fun with it?
2013 CPO, I've had it about 2.5 months.

I arrive everywhere with a smile. Saw a twin on Friday, made me even happier. Dun to drive and a damn good looking car
The following users liked this post:
Stephanie .l Prince (02-28-2020)
Old 06-12-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As luck would have it... jammed a large box from Costco (to hold items) into the trunk, lifting up the 'box'. No top down for the ride from Costco. Got home, checked to see if it would open/close... nada... heart sinks... blood pressure rises... then I see the trunk is still WIDE open. I finish unpacking, close the trunk. ALL GOOD
Old 03-11-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mahickerson
Just wanted to post this here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

I was also getting the "soft top storage box not lowered please remove obstacle" error message when there was nothing in my trunk. I manually raised the storage box, closed the trunk, then attempted to lower the top again (several times). The storage box would lower with each attempt, but the dash would display the error and the top would not lower. Activating the switch I could hear the top motor attempting to lower the top, but nothing was happening.

To try and determine what might be failing, I laid the back seats down to try and get a better look. That's when I noticed the support bar that runs across the back of the back seats for the soft top storage box was uneven. As the soft top storage box was attempting to lower, it was bottoming out on one side, but the other side was not lowered. I was able to manually adjust the bar where it sits in the gears so that it was even across the back. Voila! The top started working again.

I suspect I may have had something in the way when I last attempted to lower the top causing this to get off track.

Hi Mahickerson.

Thanks very for your comments advice and photos. You've saved me a lot of time money and stress. It worked for me.

Thanks again pal.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default This helped me fix my roof problem, Thanks

I was also getting the "soft top storage box not lowered please remove obstacle" error message when there was nothing in my trunk. I manually raised the storage box, closed the trunk, then attempted to lower the top again (several times). The storage box would lower with each attempt, but the dash would display the error and the top would not lower. Activating the switch I could hear the top motor attempting to lower the top, but nothing was happening.

To try and determine what might be failing, I laid the back seats down to try and get a better look. That's when I noticed the support bar that runs across the back of the back seats for the soft top storage box was uneven. As the soft top storage box was attempting to lower, it was bottoming out on one side, but the other side was not lowered. I was able to manually adjust the bar where it sits in the gears so that it was even across the back. Voila! The top started working again.

I suspect I may have had something in the way when I last attempted to lower the top causing this to get off track.

Hi mahickerson,

Just joined the forums to Thank you as I found this thread whilst searching for advice on my roof problem, you can read it here, A5 Cabriolet Roof Stuck Open - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

I'm so glad I found your advice as this has potentially saved me lots of money and wasted time and I can now enjoy the glorious weather we're currently having

I know this was posted almost a year ago, but Thank You so much for posting your findings

Andy
Old 07-14-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi , i have the issue that the fabric has come unattached to the pole and roof will not fully close. Is it just a case of reglue the material to the pole ? Is the pole on a tension? The pole came out of position i put back in but dont see how it functions??
Old 06-26-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Than

Originally Posted by Glisse
Excellent post, thanks for taking the trouble!
Thank you. Message 7 sorted my problem
Old 06-29-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same problem same solution

having experienced the same fault message I couldn’t find any obstacle so using powers of deduction I thought back to dropping rear seat and feeding fishing rods through. Having removed rods and still getting fault message I dropped both back seats in an attempt to access the roof and noticed the bar uneven/ unlevel and reset it in its mechanism gently and voila the fault cleared and the roof functioned. Great check to do!!
Old 06-08-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default soft top storage box not lowered please remove obstacle'

Hello
I'm new here and having this same problem .. please any help will be much appreciated ...
Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Christian Zabbal
Hello
I'm new here and having this same problem .. please any help will be much appreciated ...
Hello again
Today i followed your advice and bent down the back seats and for my surprise i found the bar uneven exactly as you described ... i made it even with a little effort and that's it ... tried again to open and close the soft top and everything went back to normal ... now i can re-enjoy the nice weather again in Beirut ...
Much thanks
Old 08-17-2019, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did same thing and now mine is displaying on dash that the soft top cannot be used. Please help me

Quick Reply: A5 soft top problem