Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 soft top problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 convertible

Hi, I was attempting to straighten my bar that looks like a roller blind and it popped off at the top therefore losing the tensioning on the two end wheels, do you know which way these should be retentioned ?
Old 11-15-2020, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Paul Austin
Hi, I was attempting to straighten my bar that looks like a roller blind and it popped off at the top therefore losing the tensioning on the two end wheels, do you know which way these should be retentioned ?
Hi Paul,
We have a 2013 Audi A5 convertible and our nylon "drape" came off of the bar. Did you ever get an answer as to whether the rod has tension and if so how to re-tension it?

Thank you!
Old 11-15-2020, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Were you ever able to fix this? If so, did you just reglue or have to add some tension to the rod somehow?
Old 11-15-2020, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Roller blind

Originally Posted by Paul Austin
I am not sure. I assume that the rollers unroll to allow the shade to be down in the default state.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Photos

Originally Posted by rcgray001
I am not sure. I assume that the rollers unroll to allow the shade to be down in the default state.
See the photos above...
Old 11-17-2020, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The bar was tensioned by my local garage. The ends twist to apply tension. My drape wasn't loose so unfortunately can't comment sorry.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A5 Delight

Thanks very for your comments advice and photos. You've saved me a lot of time money and stress. It worked for me.

Thanks again pal.

John Welsby
The following users liked this post:
smurkenstein (11-20-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 A5

Hi, I just started to read this thread due to Audi Of America not being able to tell me what is wrong with my cars roof. I get an error message "top not secured" and the dashboard flashes the error message and beeps. I thought this was due to water getting into the controls, The roof fabric around the back window separated from the glass and water would sit in the boot, I would lift the roof to allow the water to run off the trunk.

Eventually, the roof stopped working altogether and the roof not secured message still flashes.

Has anyone experienced that same ?
Old 06-29-2021, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mahickerson
Just wanted to post this here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

I was also getting the "soft top storage box not lowered please remove obstacle" error message when there was nothing in my trunk. I manually raised the storage box, closed the trunk, then attempted to lower the top again (several times). The storage box would lower with each attempt, but the dash would display the error and the top would not lower. Activating the switch I could hear the top motor attempting to lower the top, but nothing was happening.

To try and determine what might be failing, I laid the back seats down to try and get a better look. That's when I noticed the support bar that runs across the back of the back seats for the soft top storage box was uneven. As the soft top storage box was attempting to lower, it was bottoming out on one side, but the other side was not lowered. I was able to manually adjust the bar where it sits in the gears so that it was even across the back. Voila! The top started working again.

I suspect I may have had something in the way when I last attempted to lower the top causing this to get off track.

Does anyone know if this mechanism/bar is designed to rise and give a helping hand raise when you raise the roof to a close position? all of a sudden when raising the roof the leading edge of the rear windshield is getting caught on the edges the bar that the rear headrests are bolted to.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Tracked down the issue, not sure if the bracket is broken as well but the spring assisted cord in part# 8F0898924A has snapped. That cord above the rear windscreen between the roof and headliner. debating to do it myself and work with a auto upholsterer to reattach the headliner.

Here's the article I found https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...please.388016/

Quick Reply: A5 soft top problem