Audi 1.8t has a few issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 1.8t has a few issues

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to respond to this post. Here is the deal; I just purchased a 1997 A4 1.8T and it is only making about 4 PSI of boost. Also when coming off of throttle the engine will stutter a few times before stablizing at normal RPM. There are no idiot lights to indicate a engine problem. The last guy who owned it left a haynes manual and some notes that indicate a computer code signalling MAF sensor 'low input'. Do I need an MAF? Could there possibly anything else wrong with the car? I would hate to blow the cash on something that may not correct the problem.

An unrelated issue would be with the Air bag light that won't go out. The book basically says 'take it too the dealer.' I really don't want too unless it is a last resort. Are there any common problems with the Airbag system?

And finally does anyone know where I can get a freakin drivers side rear door? Mine has a big *** dent and some creasing in the sheetmetal. Northwestern PA winters are kinda harsh so I am hoping to find one before the end of summer. At the this point in time procuring that item continues to elude me.

Thank again to anyone that responds.

JS
Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default these people may have a door for you...

i'd try cleaning the maf. crc makes a spray cleaner. get a bentley's manual Haynes is almost useless. take the car to auto-zone they will read and reset any codes. this may get rid of the airbag light or at least give you an idea as to the fault. read the A4/B5 faq.<ul><li><a href="http://www.force5auto.com/index.html">http://www.force5auto.com/index.html</a</li></ul>
Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM

Default Re: these people may have a door for you...

Thank you JAFO. I just found a local door by chance. THe MAF issue is still at large. I gorgot to mention that when I lift off the throttle with the cluth dis-engaged the idle gets real jumpy for a few seconds and then calms down and idles normally. It is a real concern. I am going to plug in C-3PO tommorow at auto-zone and check the codes so I will repost tommorow night.