I WON!!!!! Stage III+

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I WON!!!!! Stage III+

Who said that ponies are only for 12 year old girls? All I can say is that APR is awesome. As a fellow observer on AudiWorld I am relatively new to posting... But I had to post to extend my thanks to APR and especially Chris for the magical hand that picked my name!

The reason why this is so crazy for me is because my father (who is quite opposite of being a car enthusiast) decided to buy me an APR Turboback and Carbonio Intake for me for X'mas. He decided that this would be a good time since the sales are going on right now.

So he called me yesterday and I'm thinking: What's going on? He had to break it to me that he had bought me the exhaust and intake... Well, I was really excited already at the fact that he wanted to get me anything for my car. But that wasn't all. He then told me he had entered me into the raffle that was going on and that I had won the Stage III+ kit. This blew my mind due to the fact that I am quite broke right now (just got a house) and all this time I have been trying to think of a way to enter that raffle... So late last night I went to APR's site and there was my name on the left APR box!

So now I can say that I will be joining the small group of lucky people running this kit! Thanks to APR for being the best tuning company out there! Previous to this I had always thought that APR:VW/Audi = Brabus:Mercedes.

Once again, thanks to everyone at APR and have a very Merry Christmas! I know I will!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Congratulations on winning you will have a nice driver. But.........

but with statements lik "Thanks to APR for being the best tuning company out there! Previous to this I had always thought that APR:VW/Audi = Brabus:Mercedes.

you are showing your ignorance, many beleive they are not even the best in US, and the US market is decades behind the Euro turers for Audis. Not a slam on APR tho I wouldnt **** on them if they were on fire, but they cant match MTM/DB/Honester?lehman on any similar chip. But you do get the neat switch chips y cruise control feature. The boxes will begin to keep US tuners out soon, and they will not be able to get the rolling keys to play this way anymore soon. APR makes a good kit for those wantin g to have a little more powerful daily driver, when I bought their test car, the 1st thing I wannted was more power than they have been able to come up with since, I dont fault them for that. But they really dont even make the best 300hp kit,and anyone who has had chips and mods from the better Audi tuners from Europe (who by the way get very generous assistance from VWOA because they also work with them on projects) are a class above, and probably cost more. If you are happy with what you from APR then enjoy it Just dont say they are the best, if you ever get one of those guys aside and ask them it will always be best "for the money' and as long as they admit that they are OK. The do seem to have done the best adverts tho.
Rod
Old 12-15-2005, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wow...thats pretty rough dude...dont get me wrong...

Im a HUGE Dahlback fan...huge, and your message above realy makes me think...he has a point, maybe I should stick with Dahlback and get the 360 kit when I could afford it.
But honstly I dont think i can justfy spending that kind of money when I can get a bolt on turbo, or even a new manifold and turbo and a custom tune for FAR FAR less. Yeah it wont be quite as smooth or refined, but itll be powerfull and reliable.
As for your comment on APR beng good for a little more powerfull daily driver, 333 crank hp is more than "a little more powerfull" than the stock 150 or 170 hp or chipped 190-205 hp. Yes it cant touch your 400+ wheel hp car but you also have built your engine (by the way Im a HUGE fan of your car, almost a a goal that I ahve for mine someday).
Im not much of an APR fan myself, I have their snub mount, thats it, I dont like the way their chip feels compared to GIAC or My Dahlback, and ill never purchase their stage 3 or 3+ (ill either go custom or if I ever have the money, go dahlback), but i do ahve to applaud them for coming up with a 333hp kit that is safe on a stock engine and for the price that it is.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No question abt. a good value, my objection was with statement of equivalent to Brabus 4 Audi?????

That is just a bit out there. No one should spend what I have in my car if looking for value. And DB has his issues too, but a comparison is just not in the realm of reality. I am looking into standalone or doing motronics just for my car. This isnt a move anyone would do for any reason except for their own satisfaction. I would do the same thing to a Porsche, but thought Audi would be just a touch cheaper. I want to push envelope and have done it with VW's and Fords. Some of us just want to see how far we can go. For a good value APR is fine, but for more money better chips are available. Compare the knock voltage at full chat on an ARP chip to an equivalent MTM/DB or Lehman chip, say a 330kit or a 200hp chip and you will see what I mean. Europeans make much safer chips which usually deliver 10 to 15% more than advertised, but most people do 3 second blasts and enjoy hell out of them and that is fine. But if you track hard, my money is on another piece of silicone. I would have no prob with APR stating it is best for money, but best overall is not something I have seen yet. My distaste for APR is a personal thing that me or APR probably will never go into, but I will give them their due, they make the best cheap stuff out there - and this will do for some, and thats fine with me. My objection is that many think it is best and that is something relatively easy to prove.
Rod
Old 12-16-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Never as simple as it seems, it seems:

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/897987.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/897987.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 12-17-2005, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Apparently APR hit a target on the new 2l and MTM missed this chip

I will give this one to APR!

FWIW, I have heard 2nd hand that the eurotuners find this 2l block to be a large piece of Shiz and that may be a part of why the engine chip was not very aggressive, I dont know and dont care about the new cars and ignorance in regard to the new stuff proved me wrong. I hear some of them dont hold no hope for larger HP development for this engine, apparently the block is not nearly as strong as previous iterations of Audi 4 banger. So for this test on a 2l, I stand corrected - and give the Devil his due. But what relevance does this have on the 1.8t development forum - with the exception that I made a blanket statement without specifying the pre-2l stuff (w\ I have no experience with and should have excluded). Has a similar test been done on any 1.8t based engine been done? I would very much like to see that. Apparently the new management at APR got this 1 right for the dyno. I am sure Roland found this personally embarrasing to be bested by APR, I know I would have been mortified.
I stand corrected in regard to b7 2l chips based on this instance. I stand by my previous observations on the 1.8t's however, please show some tests on them so that I can be shown the error of my beleifs, or that my observations are correct - inquiring minds need to know. I make no bones about the assertion that you will never find a test that shows this, but I have been wrong b4 and this is a good example of that. I didnt think they had it in them based on quite a few years of observation.
Rod
Old 12-18-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Just a reminder to always remember to never use always or never. Your blanket dismissal of American

tuners is, as usual, unwarranted and unsubstantiated.

Unfortunately, there is a dearth of head to head, same car, same dyno testing reports here so I can't provide links. Of course, that also pretty much dismisses your arguments as drivel. Since it is you who is asserting clear European superiority .. how about you provide proof of your assertions?

I'd also like you to point out where tuners (American or European) state it is their intended goal to offer the most powerful or most agressive chip 'in the class' for any offering they have. Absent this assertion what makes you think that becuase MTM or ABT makes a bit more or a bit less HP than a GIAC or APR offering, somehow signals a superiority or inferiority of that firm? Perhaps MTM made the changes they wished to make and that is that.

By your logic .... Audi doesn't offer a &gt;350 crank HP 1.8t I guess they lack the talent to figure out how to make one huh?

Perhaps many firms have made economic decisions on the basis of the low number of fools willing to spend that level of money on a relatively heavy, slow, nose heavy and sluggish handling A4?

If you wanted really quick you should have opted to trade for Z06, STI, EVO or engine swapped Civic .. . woulda saved a lot of money to boot.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default tuners, with the exception of the 1 case you posted correct!

But since I really dont care and just like to stir **** for the most part, I will cease to use the words always and never per your suggestion. And state that the US tuners USUALLY W/Notable EXCEPTION dont make the same quality chips. But since you are in APR's pocket you probably wont agree. I have had Lehman,DB,MTM,T&amp;S tuning and a 2 APR chips. and from my experience APR's do not compare. I think this may be the experience of many who have a basis to compare - USUALLY, not the A word.

My opinions, tuning adventures, and car are so far removed from the experience of most Audiworlders that I have decided to quit commenting on anyones chips, or car setup. I will just post my #'s and times when I am done and give them something to shoot at. BTW, I am glad you finally found a compare someone approved to post, I know of many and if you or APR really want to prove something rent an independant dyno and run some back to back APR and MTM/DB, etc. comparos for B5's. I have seen plenty of them after the APR chips were removed and stand by my views/opinions.
ALWAYS Rod
Old 12-19-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Small things entertain small minds.

Just because I happen to have an APR product doesn't mean I am in 'their pocket'.

If you spouted in favor of APR the same way as you do against them, I'd be just as compelled to point out the flaws and errors in your tripe.

I'd like to believe you have "decided to quit commenting on anyones chips or car setup". Somehow I doubt your need to pontificate will allow us the bliss of your silence.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I will have to take thy word for that comment. I usually defer to expertise!

Peace B wiff you my brotha!
Rod

Quick Reply: I WON!!!!! Stage III+