Oil caked piston rings...!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil caked piston rings...!!

Well, was having a HARD miss on cyl6 accompanied by oil immediate oil soaking of the spark plug I thought it would be the rings. Ripped it down only to find the two cylinders I was having compression issues on, the oil rings and the 4 oil "channels" behind the rings completely clogged, well 1,2 or three on each of cyl 3 & 6.

What do you guys think? Worth rebuilding (rings, bearings, etc..) And of course while its apart I will be blueprinting. Getting everything clean in the make shift parts washer. Lots to follow..

Im quite sure I had the first post in this forum!

Im back baby!

But seriously, think this is bad? Should I just get a used long block and get back on the road...
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2013, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryans12v
Well, was having a HARD miss on cyl6 accompanied by oil immediate oil soaking of the spark plug I thought it would be the rings. Ripped it down only to find the two cylinders I was having compression issues on, the oil rings and the 4 oil "channels" behind the rings completely clogged, well 1,2 or three on each of cyl 3 & 6.

What do you guys think? Worth rebuilding (rings, bearings, etc..) And of course while its apart I will be blueprinting. Getting everything clean in the make shift parts washer. Lots to follow..

Im quite sure I had the first post in this forum!

Im back baby!

But seriously, think this is bad? Should I just get a used long block and get back on the road...
You're rolling the dice on a used engine. I'd rebuild if I were you. I have a bunch of parts you can have if you need anything - including an extra block that is taking up space here. Where are you located?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

as long as the block is OK, go for it :-)
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So far, so good. Ive only mic'd the upper portion of the block so far. Tonight I will get the crank out and get the "true" bottom measurements and well see. I think shes in good shape.

You're rolling the dice on a used engine. I'd rebuild if I were you. I have a bunch of parts you can have if you need anything - including an extra block that is taking up space here. Where are you located?
Raleigh, N.C. Area! Id love anything you have! Id really loke to sleeve a block for HC and do a custom turbo build. Could only do it if I had a donor motor though. My fiance is dying for her car back! LOL

All 6 are out!
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in Cincinnati. The block is yours if you want it.

My cabriolet suffered a loss of oil pressure and the bearings were all shot. The heads got eaten up a little bit too.

Pistons, rods etc are all fine as far as I can tell.

It's an AAH but i think the blocks are the same AAH to AFC