A6 C5 Starter motor bolt "too long" (dumb noob question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 C5 Starter motor bolt "too long" (dumb noob question)

Cutting to the chase: do any brackets/etc hang off the lower bolt of the starter motor?

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of putting my 2.7t back into the car and I've run into a problem I expect comes from my stupidity.

When re-installing the starter motor I found the lower bolt doesn't go in far enough to secure the starter. I am guessing it's one of a couple problems
  1. There is "gunk" (threadlocker?) preventing the screw from going all the way in
  2. There is some sort of accessory bracket which goes on the bolt and acts as a spacer
I know I have the right bolt because I labeled the bolt with an "S" and put the two starter bolts into their own ziplock.

I have done a bunch of searching and can't find any diagram that shows anything else going onto that bolt. My Bentley manual has no images or instructions I've been able to find. I'm hoping someone here has a pointer to a key diagram or a picture showing the bolt fully seated or spaced out by some sort of oil line bracket etc.

Thanks!
Reeves
Old 06-12-2019, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case someone else runs into this, it turns out the issue was primarily due to threads being fouled with old locktite or gasket maker. I spent about 45 minutes with a cylindrical brass wire brush some parts cleaner. I also chased the threads on the bolt with a die to make sure they were clean and straight. I wasn't able to reach far enough into the hole with a tap to chase the threads. If I could have it would have been way faster than using the brush.