A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

The hitch I've been waiting for!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tt-nut
Since I'm still trying to make a decision, I'll try to summarize the three options I currently find:

Invisihitch: I believe 200# tongue weight/2000# towing. Their website doesn't list A4 allroad, but as we saw above, there's evidence its available. I think cost wise its about 700$ delivered!? (hitch &harness&all)
for installation, they replace the factory "bumper support" e.g. the metal part mounted under the plastic bumper, with their "bumper" with integrated proprietary receiver I believe re-using the factory mount points.
http://www.invisihitch.com/hitches/

Stealth Hitches, 697$, says 250# tongue weight / 4400# towning capacity
They also have a proprietary "plug in" receiver that connects from below and can be removed. Installation is similar to Invisihitch, except they don't remove the factory bum
https://stealthhitches.com/products/...d-2016-present

Torklift: 293$, didn't find a wiring harness offered(!?), 200# tongue weight / 2000# towing
https://torkliftcentral.com/rving-an...oad-a4-stealth

Some things I'm considering:
- tongue weight: while only planning to shuttle 2 bikes, more seems better
- installation: keeping the factory stuff seems like a good idea
- receiver connection mechanism: that seems important, but for all three I find very little info about the details, how easy is it to install/remove, theft?, failure/disconnect?
- issues during install

Thoughts?
While keeping the factory bumper sounds like good reasoning, the factory bumper connects to the mounting points used by Audi for their factory installed hitch in other countries. This means that the only way to get the real hitch connection that Audi designed the car for is by removing the factory bumper. This is why I personally still like the Invisihitch design. The only argument against them, is the lower towing capacity, but I honestly wouldn't pull anything over 2,000 pounds with these cars. The brakes are not meant for it and may cause premature wear under to mention the transmission and motor. I feel fine with smaller loads, but I would not push it. Just my thoughts...
Old 07-21-2018, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I'm still trying to make a decision, I'll try to summarize the three options I currently find:

Invisihitch: I believe 200# tongue weight/2000# towing. Their website doesn't list A4 allroad, but as we saw above, there's evidence its available. I think cost wise its about 700$ delivered!? (hitch &harness&all)
for installation, they replace the factory "bumper support" e.g. the metal part mounted under the plastic bumper, with their "bumper" with integrated proprietary receiver I believe re-using the factory mount points.
http://www.invisihitch.com/hitches/

Stealth Hitches, 697$, says 250# tongue weight / 4400# towning capacity
They also have a proprietary "plug in" receiver that connects from below and can be removed. Installation is similar to Invisihitch, except they don't remove the factory bum
https://stealthhitches.com/products/...d-2016-present

Torklift: 293$, didn't find a wiring harness offered(!?), 200# tongue weight / 2000# towing
https://torkliftcentral.com/rving-an...oad-a4-stealth

Some things I'm considering:
- tongue weight: while only planning to shuttle 2 bikes, more seems better
- installation: keeping the factory stuff seems like a good idea
- receiver connection mechanism: that seems important, but for all three I find very little info about the details, how easy is it to install/remove, theft?, failure/disconnect?
- issues during install

Thoughts?

The invisihitch is $619 for the full package with tow ball and separate receiver for a bike rack (not for towing) plus electrical wiring and controller. Shipping is included. The tongue weight rating is 200 lbs. The towing weight rating is 4,000 lbs. The tow weight is limited by Audi recommended tow capacity, not the invisihitch components. This seems consistent with what I have been able to glean from European web sources about towing with the allroad. When you examine the hitch you will see that the construction is extremely robust. If you email them they will send you a pdf of installation instructions, etc. I am very happy with my decision on this.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Chris,
Just installed my hitch and electrical and am having trouble with the brake and running lights.
You mention that the color was not purple/green for you!? I do have purple/green as a signal wire going to the tail light and we tapped that signal, however I don't see any output going to the trailer.
So wondering if you recall...was your car just wired funny or did you also have the "blue" and purple/green going to the tail light?

Just wondering, need to spend some time this weekend to look around and see if I can figure anything out.

Cheers,
Frank
Old 10-17-2018, 05:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Frank,

On my car (2017 PP with a build date of 05/17) there is a purple/green wire in the wire bundle/harness as indicated in Invisihitch's instructions, and when I used that I ended up in the same situation as you where the trailer's running lights weren't on when the car's lights were on. I traced some others in the same bundle of wires going to the taillight and found that solid blue wire gave the correct signal. Do you have a voltage tester / multimeter? I found that to be really helpful when trying to locate the correct wire.

It was the only thing that needed to be changed from what was in the instriction. Hope this helps!
Old 10-22-2018, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chris,
Just installed my hitch and electrical and am having trouble with the brake and running lights.
You mention that the color was not purple/green for you!? I do have purple/green as a signal wire going to the tail light and we tapped that signal, however I don't see any output going to the trailer.
So wondering if you recall...was your car just wired funny or did you also have the "blue" and purple/green going to the tail light?

Just wondering, need to spend some time this weekend to look around and see if I can figure anything out.

Cheers,
Frank
tt-nut,

Similar thing happened to me. Simplest fix was to remove the tail light and pull out the electrical plug. Insert volt meter probe into each electrical plug female end while you operate the brake lights. Whichever plug gets an immediate electrical spike to 12V when you step on the brakes is the correct wire. Then just look at the back end of the plug to see which wire it is and trace that one inside the car.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys --

I've been following this discussion, and emailed Invisihitch yesterday to ask for further information and pricing for their A4 Allroad hitch. The response I received just now is below . . . not what I was hoping to hear, but given the apparent internal issues they're having at Invisihitch and the inaccurate wiring instructions, it looks like the Stealth Hitch option may be the way to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Steve,

Thanks for you interest, but unfortunately we don't offer a product for the A4. However, it is on our list for development, hopefully we can offer you a hitch in the future.

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 10-25-2018, 05:50 PM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve... I'd check back with them, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't offer one for the A4, but do for the (A4) allroad. I have mine sitting in a box (still) in the garage. It's possible that they only did a limited run, but i think more likely they're confused vis a vis the allroad vs the A4.