A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

Took a stone hit about 10 days ago that cracked the windshield and replacing it has been a process. Ours is a fully-loaded 2017. After replacing the windshield the car has to go the dealership to get adaptive cruise control, etc. calibrated with the new windshield. Here in Florida, most insurers outsource all their glass work and it is typically replaced in your driveway. No longer. This has taken two separate claims with the insurance company. It took 5 days to get the windshield. Total cost for the windshield install is $1000 and the "calibration" is almost $500. Love the technology but...
Old 06-15-2018, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry about the windshield. What is and isn't covered by the insurance? For HUD I understand you need special glass. Can you only get that through Audi?
Old 06-15-2018, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MDAudi
Sorry about the windshield. What is and isn't covered by the insurance? For HUD I understand you need special glass. Can you only get that through Audi?
Can't say if non-OEM glass will work. I insisted on OEM. Given how few AllRoads are sold in the US, I didn't want to take a chance. Our Florida comprehensive insurance covered all of it with no deductible.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnclePK
Took a stone hit about 10 days ago that cracked the windshield and replacing it has been a process. Ours is a fully-loaded 2017. After replacing the windshield the car has to go the dealership to get adaptive cruise control, etc. calibrated with the new windshield. Here in Florida, most insurers outsource all their glass work and it is typically replaced in your driveway. No longer. This has taken two separate claims with the insurance company. It took 5 days to get the windshield. Total cost for the windshield install is $1000 and the "calibration" is almost $500. Love the technology but...
I have a 2018 A-6 with the Prestige package. 2 days ago, a pebble said hello to my pax-side windshield resulting in a growing 12 inch crack. I am in Canada. I called the local Audi dealer who quoted a windshield replacement and recalibration of $2400 CDN which is about $2000 USD. I haven't spoke to my US insurer yet but expect that there would be a $500 deductible. So, I guess the cost of owning an expensive but enjoyable automobile is to be endured. C'est l'Audi
Old 08-14-2019, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Afternoon,

Same crap happened to me today. Rock hit my windshield on the highway and a large crack happened. Insisting on OEM glass replacement with my insurance company. Awaiting the approval. What a pain.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by APDspider
Afternoon,

Same crap happened to me today. Rock hit my windshield on the highway and a large crack happened. Insisting on OEM glass replacement with my insurance company. Awaiting the approval. What a pain.
Just had windshield replaced today. No cost to me -- 100% covered by insurance. Got OEM glass approved and installed. Still need to get it recalibrated on Fri by Canadian Audi dealer; supposedly this too will be covered but will require me to submit bill to insurer. Good luck to you.
The following users liked this post:
APDspider (08-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Xfed2001
Just had windshield replaced today. No cost to me -- 100% covered by insurance. Got OEM glass approved and installed. Still need to get it recalibrated on Fri by Canadian Audi dealer; supposedly this too will be covered but will require me to submit bill to insurer. Good luck to you.
Just got a check from the insurer for the entire cost of the recalibration. Hopefully, you won't encounter any hassles. Take care and enjoy your Audi as much as I enjoy mine.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone considered getting windshield protection film such as ExoShield or Clear Plex? I am thinking about getting mine done when I go to replace my windshield.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Recalibrate??

Originally Posted by mkwan
Has anyone considered getting windshield protection film such as ExoShield or Clear Plex? I am thinking about getting mine done when I go to replace my windshield.
You would have to ask the dealer if the coating would impact any of the safety system calibrations. I suspect the film supplier will not guarantee this. Keep us posted.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I purchased my Allroad they offered me an extended warranty (4 yr no deductible) on the windshield. They apprised me to the approximate cost of a windshield on a prestige model w/ HUD and it was a no brainer. Granted, I have auto insurance but didn't want to potentially hike my premium by filing a 1-2k claim on a chipped windshield.