A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problem

How's it going guys. My AC stopped working recently so I pulled the codes 22.1 and 5.3. Before deciding to replace both the ambient temperature sensor and the high pressure switch I took a look at them, but saw that the wire loom that contained both the ambient sensor and high pressure switch wiring had been eaten up by a pulley. The ambient temperature sensor was completely ripped off. Well now I replaced all the wires and I still have hot air blowing and the codes are still there. Do the codes re set themselves? Or is there anything else I can do?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xxvarcxx
How's it going guys. My AC stopped working recently so I pulled the codes 22.1 and 5.3. Before deciding to replace both the ambient temperature sensor and the high pressure switch I took a look at them, but saw that the wire loom that contained both the ambient sensor and high pressure switch wiring had been eaten up by a pulley. The ambient temperature sensor was completely ripped off. Well now I replaced all the wires and I still have hot air blowing and the codes are still there. Do the codes re set themselves? Or is there anything else I can do?
It sounds like you still have the problem, so the codes are still there. Is you compressor kicking on? Or, take a look at the other post about the pressure switch.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tommyleea
It sounds like you still have the problem, so the codes are still there. Is you compressor kicking on? Or, take a look at the other post about the pressure switch.
Thank you very much. I read the other post about the pressure switch. I will be going to autozone today to purchase it. The outside temperature is being read perfectly it matches the outside temperature. I'll troubleshoot the compressor today and report back. Thank you for your help.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to have taken long to reply back. I replaced the high pressure switch and I am still getting the 22.1 code. I did notice that when I removed the old switch the Schrader valve was hissing.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xxvarcxx
Sorry to have taken long to reply back. I replaced the high pressure switch and I am still getting the 22.1 code. I did notice that when I removed the old switch the Schrader valve was hissing.
Is the air working now? If not, is the compressor kicking on?
The shrader shouldn't hiss once the switch is removed. It is either loose, or the shrader is bad, and it will continue to leak, and deplete your freon.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tommyleea
Is the air working now? If not, is the compressor kicking on?
The shrader shouldn't hiss once the switch is removed. It is either loose, or the shrader is bad, and it will continue to leak, and deplete your freon.
I took my Audi into this new Audi service and they said the shrader valve was loose. I had this car in the service at another Audi service off and on for a year for it blowing hot air and they couldn't figure it out. The other day i heard a pop from the engine, I thought it was the ac that kicked on.
Now tonight my engine light came on, Anyone else has had this issue?