A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Can someone help me ID an air conditioner problem, please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone help me ID an air conditioner problem, please?

A few months back my AC started to blow warm air for a few seconds at a time when the weather was warm and I was accelerating. It wasn't too bad but I figured that since the car was high mileage (95k) maybe the AC needed to be recharged. So on my next service visit I mentioned it and they said they would perform a recharge. Well, while at that visit they also performed some kind of wiring harness TSB. I got the car back when the weather had cooled down a bit and everything seemed to be working stoutly. Then it got hot again and this time the car began to surge very noticeably under acceleration and I could hear a clicking sound behind the dash, like a relay opening and closing. This was a problem I hadn't encountered in the entire time I've owned the car (bought it new). So back to the dealership I went. They said this time that there was an issue with a pressure switch, which they replaced, and for a couple of weeks things seemed good. Now daily high temps are over 100*F and the AC compressor pretty much refuses to even kick on once it gets over about 104*F. When it does operate the car surges (and the clicking resurfaces), and after a while the "ECON" button will light up signalling that the AC has decided to call it a day. Occassionally I can coax the compressor back to life by turning the car off for a few minutes, but by and large the AC is done for the day once this happens. The car is going back in on Tuesday but I was hoping maybe I could get some insight ahead of time. For what it's worth, the temp on the car is staying very low, so it doesn't appear to be even close to overheating. The car is a 99.5 1.8tqm with about 95k on it, and it is APR chipped for whatever that might matter. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i had the engine temp sensor for the ac go on my jetta...

your symtoms sound very simular.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep it in mind. Thx.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I wonder if you might have a blockage in the system...

and the high pressure switch is shutting down the compressor. Have them put a set of pressure gauges on the low and high side (when the car is cold) and then tun the A/C on full-blast until the symptoms appear. If there is excessive pressure on the high side, then that's probably the issue. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Old 08-07-2006, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did you ever reslove this issue?

I am experiencing the exact same thing and curious to know whar your diagnosis was...thanks.