A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

catalytic converter change

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-1999, 06:01 AM
leon tan

Default catalytic converter change

good day people!!<br>i am a new person here. i have a audi a4 turbo quattro and i am contemplating on whether a freeflow catalytic converter would help improve the performance of my car. i have seen in a remus catalogue where they are offering a free flow type of catalytic converter. i would like to know if you think this is a good idea. thanks in advance for your time and advice on this matter!! <br>
Old 01-07-1999, 06:52 AM
MT atl

Default converter change

Leon, if you are going to do a cat change then here are some suggestions:<br>1. Replace the WHOLE exhaust not just the cat.<br>2. If you haven't done any other mods (ie chip, turbo, ets) then don't waste your money.<br>Exhausts are designed to maximize performance. changing a cat on a stock motor is not worth the bucks.
Old 12-11-1999, 08:18 AM
larryV

We're all nuts. That's standard equipment in all A4 owner's melons.
Old 12-11-1999, 02:00 PM
Robert Jordan

Default I'm installing a utility sink in my garage soon so I can wash my cars in the garage, I'm nuts too!

I told my wife that after installing the sink, I would never use her kitchen sink to clean up greasy parts, clean paint brushes, wash golf shoes, etc. My REAL motivation is having hot and cold running water in the garage :-).

My garage isn't sloped very well and water tends to pool up against the walls (not good), but I think I have a plan. I figure I can fit together (no glue for easy disassembly and storage) 2" PVC pipe in a 'U' shape to go in front of and down both sides of the car (12'x20'). Throw a layer of 6-mil poly over the frame and drive the A4 onto the poly. This should keep the water from running all over the garage. I will leave the garage door open about 1" to let the water run out the open end of the PVC 'U'. (Next time I will have a drain built into the garage floor!)

Robert

P.S. I think you'r dad rules! (he also has great taste in cars!)
Old 12-13-1999, 11:18 AM
Dave M

Default Two words - golf spikes!!!!!

They are great on ice and would be a lot cheaper than a new heated driveway!. Just get the metal spiked ones and not the soft spikes.

Dave M (who occasionally deals with ice storms here in Dallas)
Old 12-13-1999, 11:27 AM
Dave M

Default Re: utility sink in my garage

I had a utility sink installed in my garage (thanks to suggestions of my friends who had just built their own houses). It is indespensible for cleaning up large/bulky and extremely dirty items (like my beer brewing equipment). I also seriously contemplated getting a floor drain in the garage, but for some reason I decided not to (a pit would have been nice, too).