A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Helping my fiance buy a new car : Audi A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helping my fiance buy a new car : Audi A4 1.8T

She wanted an AWD car like my Subaru Impreza. She really wanted one. But I told her that the Impreza is a hit a miss among people's tastes, especially among her family. Her uncle suggested the Lexus RX300 but I said that it's just an upgraded Toyota Rav4.

So I suggested the Audi A4. More refined, more luxury and the best part : AWD!

Now...I know one of you owns and Audi...but does the Audi 1.8T have good acceleration?

I heard the turbo seems non-existant in AT form compared to manual. How much is the chip?

She's going to the Audi dealer at 1pm today. Also, I heard that Audi dealers don't budge too far from MSRP. Blah. Did you get to negotiate a fair price below MSRP?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:59 AM

Default i got an S4 at $2500 off msrp

should be able to do better for an A4 since there are so many around.. plus there is 1.9% financing.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:59 AM

Default Non-Existant in an Auto!? You Sir haven't driven an Audi have you? :-P

It may take the turbo a little longer to spool up than a manual but by no means, do you NOT feel it.

As far as price goes.... there's a few things you can do. If they have the car you want with all the options, color, etc, you can haggle with them or at least try to, however the best tactic that I've used in getting friends Audi's is basically telling them that Dealer B has what I want for X amount.

And tell them do you really want me to go over to Dealer B, when I'm here at Dealer A? Usually I compare things to other Dealers, web sites, or what people have posted here on the classified ads section.

BTW, what year are you looking at? If you want more HP, get a 2001-2001.5. They come with 170HP and a lot of guys on this forum recommend them. For performance, you can get the Garret X-Chip for your fiance and then she'll definately have enough *** kicking power to beat out any soccer mom wannabe.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default some basic info...

of course we're A4 fans here. Its apples and oranges comparing it to either the Impreza or the RX300. The 1.8T has good acceleration IMO, even w/out a chip (for a woman, anyway ;-P ). Audi under-rates the engine- a recent dyno test in european car mag revealed 171 hp at the wheels, or almost 190 crank hp. The tip is a good transmission, but more sporting ppl will want the manual. Chips MAY void the warranty, and cost around $450. You may want to post on the 2002 A4 forum.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default some corrections....

the rx300 is a fancy version of the toyota highlander. I have personally driven this car off road and on paved road. As much as they say that it handles less like an suv and more like a car. Dont even compare it to the audi.

I had a hard time finding a manual trans...oh so many automatics....

ONE major mistake...dont buy a car because of what other people think (as in this case her family) Do your research...then get an a4
Old 11-19-2002, 07:07 AM

Default Not in three years, no.

But I'm getting the chip regardless. She's excited about the garret chip =8^D

What about long term maintenance. Has it been very good? No problems?
Old 11-19-2002, 07:09 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Some points on pricing...

3-5% above invoice is very common. A dealer that won't negotiate doesn't want to sell you a car. The dealer down the road will, so no worries.

Also, a person that works for Audi at the Wilmington port (one of many ports that Audi uses to ship cars to the US) posted last week regarding an inventory pile up at the ports. Basically, this means that cars aren't selling, and they have too many cars "lying around". Current speculations is that AoA will soon be offering incentives to start moving this inventory. That will most likely take the shape of lease incentives, or low interest financing options. If you can wait 1-2 months for those incentives to materialize, I would do that. Again, it's all speculation, however the source that reported about the inventory build up is quite credible...it's the rest that's speculation, but it's no stretch really, just common sense.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:17 AM

stock, it is designed to eliminate lag as much as possible, and for the love of god, CHIP IT : )
Old 11-19-2002, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

kev i replied to some of your old Threads... (also found the extinguisher one)
Old 11-19-2002, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

which ones? i migt not be tracking them...links...

Quick Reply: Helping my fiance buy a new car : Audi A4 1.8T