A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I almost died, and now my car is dented.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I almost died, and now my car is dented.

I was jacking up my car with the factory jack to check on a rattle coming from the muffler. The car was on flat ground, the hand brake was on,(much tighter than normal) and the car was in gear. I jack it up and layed down to crawl under, and the car fell over to the opposite side wedging the jack under the black lower molding, putting two deep scratches and a very noticable dent. If it would have happened 30 seconds later, I would have been under the car and probably very seriously injured. My car is lowered, and only has about 3-5 inches of clearance. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I ask Audi to fix the black trim? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2001, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

DUDE! That jack is death trap. NEVER get under a car without jack stands
Old 01-05-2001, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have jack stands at home, but I was at a friends house and thought it would be ok to just look.
Old 01-05-2001, 10:52 PM
Former Vendor

Default For sure dude!!!!

At the drags a while ago, these two guys with a focus(with HUGE FOCUS SPORT logos everywhere), had ONE scissor jack holding the entire front end up, with one guy totally under the car fuxoring with the tranny or something, he came within about 1cm of bumping the jack several times.... we were standing there waitin till when we had to run over and lift that american POS off this poor dude.. crazy ****!

luckily you didn't get hurt
Old 01-05-2001, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEVER EVER trust a facory car jack if getting under a car...

Don't ever lul yourself into a state of complacency, like oh this once, nothing can happen. If it ca it will. Don't ever let yourself get trapped by taking the easy way. If you think I'm scolding you for stupidity, your damed straight. CONSIDER YOURSELF VERY LUCKY, and never take this narrow escape for granted. Always ALWAYS! use jack stands if you're going to crawl under a car. Cars can be undented, crushed skulls and brains cannot.

Jeff Davison
Old 01-06-2001, 05:29 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default If anybody ever gets and idea like this in their head, RE-READ Jeff's post!!!

Oh, and Jeff, just for the record, skulls can be undented. My uncle (50 something) did something equally stupid a year ago...shattered every bone between his upper jaw, and his forehead. 2 very good surgeons, 9 hours, 27 titatium plates, and 50+ titanium screws later, they fixed him. Fortunately, bone fragments were a few mm's away from his brain, so his brain was left untouched.

Please people, THINK!!!
Old 01-06-2001, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Now that we've established that was a stupid move on my part....................

Is there any recourse with Audi? I know they don't expect you to use jackstands if you're changing a flat on the side of the road. That damage could have just as easily happened that way. If the wheel would have been off, the car would be in much worse shape.
Old 01-06-2001, 09:22 AM

It can't hurt to try.
Old 01-06-2001, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts
Default The OEM jack should have been a scissor jack!!!!

Try using that the current jack on soft gound! It sinks right in the gound and doubles the odds of getting hurt. Scissor jacks are very safe, cheap to make and easy to use.
Old 01-06-2001, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. A comechanic learned the hard way in earthquake cali. Lucky to be alive, just not 100%

Quick Reply: I almost died, and now my car is dented.