A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I give up (Bookish long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-1998, 02:45 PM
Neil Axe

Default I give up (Bookish long)

I’ve posted a few times on this forum but unfortunately most of my posts have dealt with my inept dealer. I would like to contribute in a positive way, but unfortunately I do not yet have an Audi. You see, as embarrassing as this is to reveal, it has been 8 months since I ordered my car. Let me explain:<p>I ordered my car on March 7, 1998 from Autohaus of Harrisburg (don’t care anymore about hiding dealers identity). My sales person gave me an anticipated maximum delivery date of July, but he thought it would most likely be delivered in June. Part of the deal was for me to put down a $1,000 deposit. They informed me that 30 days before delivery they would call me so that I could arrange financing. Four months goes by with no call from my dealer. I try on several occasions to get in touch with my sales person and the sales manager. No one returns my calls. Finally I call Audi of America to ask about the status of my car. At this time, however they were no longer giving that type of information out. The representative did succeed in arranging a conference call with the sales manager. He uses this time to inform me that the order has been cancelled by Audi because they ended 98 production. He tells me that I will be receiving one of the first 99’s.<p>At the end of September I decide to give my dealer a call, seeing how nobody has called me. My dealer tells me that it has not bee built yet. He estimates that November would be the arrival date.<p>Yesterday, October 28, I give my dealer a call. Again I had to take the initiative and call. Good news though! The car has been built and he has the VIN. Then he restates my car's options. Cactus Green, Quattro, Automatic…Wait a minute. Auto? AUTO? I didn’t order auto. Also the sports package is missing. Yes…someone screwed up. The factory built the wrong car. The dealer promises to call me back by the end of day with an answer. Sure.<p>I called Audi of America. Talked to Cheryl. The most unhelpful representative Audi employs. She tells me that I must take it up with my dealer.<p>At 6:30pm, still with no call from my dealer, I decide to call him. He says he just got off the phone with some regional rep and that they found me a “comparable” car and he can deliver it the 2 week in December. That would be 9 full months since I ordered it. I finally did something I should have done months ago, I cancelled my order.<p>I could go on but I’ve already written enough misery to fill a book. But in summary: worst car experience ever. Perhaps I will give BMW another look.<br>
Old 10-29-1998, 03:07 PM
Steve B

Default Re: I give up (Bookish long)

I say start calling dealers in your region to see if they have one like what you want in stock. You might be able to just drive one off the lot (after some travel to the dealership).
Old 10-29-1998, 03:29 PM
wolverine

Default Harsh, dude!

I agree with the post below. The demand, while still high, may not be so high as to eliminate finding a dealer who already has what you want.<br>If I were a dealer with stock, I'd be watching this board like a hawk!<br>Dealers, where are you!
Old 10-29-1998, 03:40 PM
jkp

Default Re: I give up (Bookish long)-shouldn't have cancelled

You should not have cancelled your order. While you had the order there was a valid contract and the dealer was clearly in breach of contract. This gives you a legal recourse (a persuasive tool to use on the dealer and Audi). There are three main theories of damages recovery, the leading one being expectancy damages. Those damages are designed to put you in as good a position as if the dealer/Audit had been performed as expected.
Old 10-29-1998, 04:05 PM
phred

Default I want to feel bad, but ...

are you always such a doormat?<p>Man, if you are going to pay 30 large for a car and you're not happy with the attention you're getting, go elsewhere! And go immediately, don't wait 8 months. You could have bought a comparable car off a dealer's lot 7 months and 30 days ago and been happily driving it ever since!<p>This is not a matter of going to a different make of car, it's a major dealer problem. And then there's the matter of your approach to buying a car .....
Old 10-29-1998, 04:15 PM
Jay Cole

Default an option... SunAutomotive in phoenix, AZ

may sound crazy, but this is what i did...<p>ordered my '99 A4 1.8TQSA Oct 7 from <br>SunAutomotive in phoenix, AZ (i live in<br>santa barbara, CA). it is due to arrive<br>Nov 15. they gave me the option of shipping<br>the car to my doorstep for $200. (A4's are<br>50 state smog legal, so no hassles in that<br>regard)<p>jack dyer, the salesman, is a super straight<br>shooter. within 5 minutes, we had a deal,<br>over the phone. i had done my homework, knew<br>what i wanted and what i was willing to offer.<br>he countered my first offer, but we settled<br>quickly. he whipped up the financial details<br>and faxed them to me that same day:<p>Lease, 36 mo / 45K miles<p>clearly stated on a printed report:<p>MSRP<br>Term (number of months)<br>Residual (% of MSRP and $$ amount)<br>Miles per year<br>Mileage penalty<br>Negotiated cost (OK'd by sales mgr)<br>Acquistion Fee<br>Money Factor<br>Monthly payment (w/ and w/o state sales tax)<br>Security Deposit<br>Reg/Lic Fee<br>Drive off amount (sec/dep + reg/lic + 1st mo. pymt)<p>done... no mumbo jumbo.<p>i talked to 4 different SoCal area dealers,<br>NONE would come close to giving me this info,<br>or even commit to an offer, unless I planned<br>to sit down for an hour and hear why i should<br>take the car they have in stock. i wasted no<br>less than 8 hours talking to and traveling<br>to SoCal area dealers. big pain in the ***.<p>it is an unbelievable difference dealing with<br>jack.<p>if you do give him a shout, go in knowing what<br>you want, and you should have a similar<br>experience.<p><br>Jay<br>
Old 10-29-1998, 04:24 PM
AD

Default BS from dealer

Neil,<p>The dealer screwed you right from the start: when he told you that the order had been cancelled by Audi because of the 99 models, that was a lie. He probably just sold your car to someone else - 4 months had passed so your original ordered car was probably finished by then. Then he just placed a new order for a 99.<p>How do I know that? Well, because I ordered in August when there were only 98 models built and the dealer said that I would be probably get a 99, but wasn't sure. I ended up getting a 99 without a problem, although the order called for a 98 initially (I dont'a actually have the car, it's probably on the ship right now). The order was just continued for the 99 model.<p>Oh, and another thing: nobody built the "wrong" car - again, the dealer just entered information incorrectly on your new 99 order.<p>One more thing: usually if the dealer tells you it will take 3 months, if it takes more than 4 you can probably persuade him to give you a loaner or a replacement from the lot until your car arrives. You could probably even put this in the initial contract.<p>I'm telling you these things not to make your cup a little more bitter, but so that you'll know better next time. I hope you get a really nice car.<p>Andrei.
Old 10-29-1998, 05:36 PM
Nadeem

Default If you havent given up you may want to try this...

I live in Baltimore. Understanding that availabilty changes, but when I bought my A4 in March 98, when they were in quite high demand, I drove it off the lot the same day. You may want to call the Baltimore dealers, their only 70 highway miles from Hburg and they may have what you want. Try Valley Motors in Cockeysville or Len Stoler in Owings Mills (which gave me a great deal).<p>Nadeem<br>1.8TQM
Old 10-29-1998, 07:22 PM
the UnABiMmeR

You wouldn't have this problem from BMW because their customers wouldn't tolerate it!<br>If Audi fans continue to act like groupies instead of car buyers...this type of situation will<br>continue to be repeated....and there is a nice new E46 waiting for you Mr. Axe!<p>
Old 10-29-1998, 08:26 PM
Ray Calvo

Neil, sorry to hear about your bad experiences. As Steve B. indicated, might want to try alternate dealers. Pittsburgh is about 3 hrs. form you; might try these dealers there:<p>a) Sewickley Car Store (412/741-6400). I bought my Avant from them; good supportive dealer. Big on entusiasts.<br>b) Three Rivers Audi (724/941-7000). largest local dealer, like to brag about sales they pulled away from Sewickley.<br>c) Imports by Day (724/327-4900); they don't have the rep of the others, but a friend of mine ordered a car thru them, and was satisfied (they found a built car very close to his order when delivery dragged out to routine >3 month wait)<p>Good luck; looks like you need it. For info, ordered my Avant on Feb. 23, picked it up July 31.<br>

Quick Reply: I give up (Bookish long)