A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Opal gray cloth: need your input!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-1999, 02:41 PM
Future buyer

Default Opal gray cloth: need your input!

I am almost sure this is the interior seating option I want (with sport front seats). However, I would like to know from those of you who have owned your cloth-seats cars for a while, the following information:<p>1) How has the fabric held up in terms of wear and tear?<p>2) Is it easy to keep the seats and rest of the interior clean?<p>3) Do you use any products such as ScotchGuard to guard against stains?<p>4) How hard is it to clean up the fabric to get stains out?<p>Thanks a whole bunch for any input you can provide
Old 05-13-1999, 04:23 PM
Roy M

Default My Opal Gray cloth is 15 months old (more)

I have no problems with my Opal Gray cloth in my 2.8. I have 15,000 miles and I cannot tell you home many in the car and out of the car in the last 15 months. I see no wear and so far has been easy to take care of. The carpeting is a little light and I do use Audi rubber winter mats during the snow season. I have use Sonax carpet and upholstery cleaner on the carpet mats and they came out like new. <p>I did Scotch Guard the interior when only a few days old. I imagine that does help. <br>So far no spills or stains so I don't know how they clean up. I'm very pleased with the Opal Gray it look very classic in my 2.8<br>Hope this helps. <br>Roy M 98.5 2.8q Tip
Old 05-13-1999, 05:33 PM
Bob B

Default Re: Opal gray cloth: need your input! Excellant - stays like new

I've had my A4 2.8 QTS with the Opal Gray Cloth for a month less than Roy and have 13,500 miles on the car. I'd swear that it still looks absolutely brand new! <br>Now wear, pilling or anything else showing use.<br>Roy, it looks just the way it did when we were at the Santa Barbara A4 Extraveganza and you rode in my car.<p>Bob B<br>98.5 2.8 QTS - OGC
Old 05-13-1999, 07:12 PM
Stephen M

Default Re: Opal Grey Cloth and 2.8QTS - some vital ?'s (more)

I am about to write a big check. If you can answer these ?'s; it woud be appreciated.<p>1. Did you have to order your Opal Grey Cloth?<p>2. Are the armrests and other heavy use cloth areas stained? <p>3. Do you feel that Tip is quick enough? Does it have enough torqe at low revs? Any problem making tight passes?<p>4. Do you personally feel that the Sport pak improves handling all the time or just when it is pushed? Do you feel you have given up some ride comfort for road feel? (thinking of girl friend) I assume i will need snows for winter.<p>Thank you!<br>
Old 05-13-1999, 07:14 PM
Stephen M

Default Re: Opal Grey Cloth and 2.8QTS - some vital ?'s (more)

I am about to write a big check. If you can answer these ?'s; it woud be appreciated.<p>1. Did you have to order your Opal Grey Cloth?<p>2. Are the armrests and other heavy use cloth areas stained? <p>3. Do you feel that Tip is quick enough? Does it have enough torqe at low revs? Any problem making tight passes?<p>4. Do you personally feel that the Sport pak improves handling all the time or just when it is pushed? Do you feel you have given up some ride comfort for road feel? (thinking of girl friend) I assume i will need snows for winter.<p>Thank you!<br>
Old 05-13-1999, 07:24 PM
Stephen M

Default Re: Opal gray cloth color different in sport seats(to my eye) (more)

<br>I just saw 99.5 Opal Grey cloth Sport Seats at Biener in Great Neck NY. They were a grey/tan color. I've seen the 99.0 Opal Grey standard Cloth seats. They were a nice regal grey without the tan.<p>I suggust that the Opal Grey 99.5 cloth sport seats are a different color than the 99.0 cloth standard seats.<p>I belive they have different patterns als but I'm not counting that. All cars were 2.8Q.
Old 05-13-1999, 11:02 PM
Kevin B

Default My answers...

1) I didn't have to order it- it was on the lot.<br>2) No stains yet- still looks new (10,500 mi) 3) I have a 1.8T, but you should be okay with the 2.8 and Tip 4) Go for the Sport Pack.; it's worth it. The ride is still plenty comfortable; too much body roll without it. You will need snows for Winter driving security. <p>Hope this helps!
Old 05-14-1999, 03:26 AM
Rich W.

Default Opal Sport Seats/interior-awesome! Very durable, and it stays cooler in the sun (pic enclosed)

Of course, I've only had it for 1 month, but I'm very happy with it.<ul><li><a href="http://www.rwnewmedia.com/richsa4">Other pics of Rich's a4</a></li></ul>
Old 05-14-1999, 03:29 AM
Rich W.

Default Just get the LLtek or Audi Rubber Mats...

any floormat that is alight color, will of course get dirty. Solution... get some lltek all-weather mats from the start! Save the grey mats for nice days, or when you sell it.<ul><li><a href="http://www.rwnewmedia.com/richsa4">Other pics of Rich's a4</a></li></ul>
Old 05-14-1999, 08:32 AM
Roy M

Default Bob glad to hear that your Opal Gray has been as great as mine has.

nt