A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Overheating Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Any car under 20 years old has heater flaps to control air going to the core. Running the heater at max does help with most vehicles.

Removing heat from the heater core causes a temp drop across the core. Warm water rises so this encourages circulation of coolant within the core.
Yep, that's called the thermosyphon effect, which happens because the specific gravity of hot coolant is slightly less than colder coolant. Some early cars relied only on thermosyphon for coolant flow, no pump, for example the Ford model T. The flow is not much so cooling was marginal, which is one reason those early cars only had 20 HP or so. However when there is a coolant pump, that is going to move the coolant, heater on or heater off.

Maybe the technique that I use is just different; I lift the tank as far as the hoses allow, pull the hose to expose the vent hole, then run the engine, at a fast idle until there is a steady coolant flow from the vent.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo510
Yep, that's called the thermosyphon effect, which happens because the specific gravity of hot coolant is slightly less than colder coolant. Some early cars relied only on thermosyphon for coolant flow, no pump, for example the Ford model T. The flow is not much so cooling was marginal, which is one reason those early cars only had 20 HP or so. However when there is a coolant pump, that is going to move the coolant, heater on or heater off.

Maybe the technique that I use is just different; I lift the tank as far as the hoses allow, pull the hose to expose the vent hole, then run the engine, at a fast idle until there is a steady coolant flow from the vent.
There's definitely some "black magic" in the art of bleeding the cooling system on these cars. It seems like there is at least one post a day on this subject.

At the end of the day it comes down to getting coolant "behind" the thermostat so it will work, "under" the coolant temp sensor so it will read and "over" the heater core so it will heat.

And as you say there is more than one way of doing that.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh do you think this will help my heat problem also because im having that problem as well. Im starting to get mad at this car, its giving me a hard time right now. I tried flushing the heater core for a min and i got heat but later i added more coolant because i noticed it was overheating and i added more heat and it got back to cold.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

sorry i meant i added more coolant. I typed to quick
Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by iloveyulya1
sorry i meant i added more coolant. I typed to quick
Did you bleed it as directed?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no i'm too busy working... Good question though.i might do it today evening or tomorrow. Do you think bleeding will help with the heat also? because i saw diy for it somewhere.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by iloveyulya1
no i'm too busy working... Good question though.i might do it today evening or tomorrow. Do you think bleeding will help with the heat also? because i saw diy for it somewhere.
Yes that procedure would be "in this thread" on the previous page.(WTF!)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Yes that procedure would be "in this thread" on the previous page.(WTF!)
ok i tried today and my car is still overheating. but i noticed that i did get better, but i still should try again. Do you think flushing would help?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well i got fixed now and the heat works much better. The heatet core tube really helped.