A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-1999, 02:46 PM
NickS

Default Short shifter

I saw on the Neuspeed/A4 site that they are selling a short shifter. I looks very similar to the ones that Neuspeed makes for the VR6 cars. Has anyone bought one of these shifters? I was unaware that a short shifter was made for our cars. Since getting rid of my GTI to get my A4, I miss the short (50% shorter!) throw and shifting the A4 is like rowing a boat in comparison.<p>If someone has bought and installed one, I would like to hear if it engages well with the transmission (Quattro or FWD) or does the shorter throw make 'grinding' gears a more common thing because you are able to shift quicker now? What about the 'feel' of the shifter and the shifter mechanism? Does it feel more notchy or very close (if not the same) to that of the OEM shifter? What was the cost and of course would you do the procedure over if given the chance?<ul><li><a href="http://www.neuspeed.com/pages/AudiA4.html">Neuspeed/A4 page</a></li></ul>
Old 07-26-1999, 03:19 PM
antony

Default Shifter News ...

I've been asking Neuspeed and their distributor, Greedspeed about the short shifter since I first heard about it last October. Everytime I contact them they tell me it's in development, and will be ready in the next month. The last I heard from GreedSpeed, about two weeks ago, is that it has been finished, and is now entering production. Apparently the A4 uses a rod linkage (not cable like other VWs) so it's more complex to develop. But I still have never seen one! GreedSpeed have not been able to give me an on-sale date (latest prediction: sometime next month) and I've heard estimated prices ranging from $250 - $450. I am afraid that's all I know about it right now. I can't wait for it to come out - and if anyone else has any news, PLEASE let me know!!!<br>Thanks,<p>Antony<br>98.5 1.8T QMS
Old 07-26-1999, 03:33 PM
alan t.

Default You always pay a price for the shorter throws. I think the A4 shifter is great and would leave it alone. But I know some of us can't leave anything alone. :) nt.

fd