A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Unseated GIAC chip (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unseated GIAC chip (long)

Hi all,

I just went through some fun with my 2000 A4 over this past month. Just some background first ... I got the car new in 2000, waited the requisite 5000 miles before taking it to Dynospot racing, then in Mountain View, CA, to have them install a GIAC chip. Outside of the chip exposing an exaust leak that was covered by warranty, all was fine (https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/347761.phtml)

Anyway ... so about a few weeks ago the car started doing something funny. While driving the car would buckle for a second, flash the check engine light and then be fine. I had my 50k service already schedule with German Motor Works (http://www.germanautorepair.com/), so I figured I'd wait the few days to have them check it out. Brought the car to them and they found the car had thrown two codes "Negative Boost"-something and "Low Voltage"-something. They also found that my battery needed replacing (and rotors and brake pads, oh god my credit card hurts!). Their feeling was that with the battery needing replacing that some of the codes might have been thrown because of that. I go to pick up the car and it doesn't start . The technician comes out and gives it a try and it starts right up. I call it a fluke (though I don't feel all that great) and take the car because I needed it for the next day.

Driving into work for a meeting the next day the car stalls while going 70MPH on 101. The check engine light and EBC light start flashing for a few seconds, making a clicking sound and the car stalls. I coast to the next exit with my hazards on, turn the car off and let it cool down. After a minute or so, it starts up with no problem and drives on. German Auto Works (GAW) was only a few miles away so I drive it right there.

After some inspecting, they find that the main relay has blown. They replace it, cover it by my warranty and send me on my way (after having the car for the weekend).

I don't drive the car for a few days for totally unrelated reasons. Later that next week I'm doing some local driving and find that the problem is still there (the stalling and check engine light flash for one second) and take the car for a third time back to GAW. This time they find that after the car warms up, if you tap (literly) on the ECU, the car stalls. They figure bad ECU. Well here's where we have a problem. The car is chipped and I'm all worried that my warranty claim will be denied or worse voided. I also don't want to pay for a new ECU out of pocket.

After some thinking I call Dynospot racing and describe the problem to Dick. He knows exactly what problem I am talking about and tells me to bring the ECU down to him (Mind you, I live in SF, GAW is in San Carlos and Dynospot is now in San Jose). I drive to GAW, get the ECU (which they still think needs replacing), take it to dynospot, they simply replace the chip and tell me all is well. I'm skeptical at this point especially since GAW is telling me I need a NEW ECU, not just a new chip. Dick explains to me that on the 2000 A4 ECU there is a problem with the socketing that has since been fixed in new ECUs. The problem is that the connections, over time, can start to expand (something about some glue like stuff wearing away, I don't know) and lose contact with the chip (thus causing the stalling and stuff). And this theory makes sense with the problem only happening when the car has warmed up (the ECU gets hot, things expand and connections are lost). Though I've just driven from SF to San Jose and I really just want my car to be better. Dick tells me that if their simple fix of just putting a new chip into the ECU doesn't work, I could bring it back and they would do "whatever it takes to make things work again". These guys are great business men. I can't make it anymore clear how honest and wonderful they are.

Old ECU with new chip in hand, I go back to GAW. They reinstall the ECU, car starts up and all is fine (though this is no different from before because the car needs to warm up). I drive the car home (instead of to the dealership, which was where they were sending me next to have a new ECU installed), very carefully and everything seems fine. I drove the car last night and it was fine. I'm not yet totally convinced or ready to declare victory, but I think that Dynospot fixed the problem. Ya gotta love going to the experts! Not to put GAW down in all this, they were very helpful, but they just didn't have the very specific knowledge that Dick and Lawrence of Dynospot have.

If you read this far, thanks for listening to my story. To sum things up, if you see the symptoms I was having, it might be your chip and if you have any performance needs, go to Dynospot Racing in San Jose, CA.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:34 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Odds are your battery and your main relay were fine all along.

Random stalling or no-start conditions on chipped cars are usually the result of a poor contact between the ECU board and chip. Happens with all the tuners, people frequently post about it here. If the same symptoms ever recur, take it back to the tuner before you have a dealer or shop evaluate the problem. It'll save you a lot of time and aggravation replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:42 AM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

Default Feeling better?

Talked to James. He said that the drive's going well.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:26 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Eh...

This is one of those instances where I'm getting knocked flat on my back. The good news is that it seems to be working it's way through my system pretty quick. I got a craving for pad thai though! :-P

How come you didn't go on the drive?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:39 PM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good to hear...

Few reasons I didn't go: met with my accountant to do my taxes. Looks like my company made a huge mistake on my W2...on paper I worked half the year in Jersey and half in NYC. They're trying to get me to pay taxes on my year total for Jersey and taxes on my year total for NY as well. Should be split up evenly (amount made while working in NJ + amount made while working in NY = year-end total). If there's no mistake (and I don't see how there can't be) I'm hosed and owe A LOT of money. I'm praying...

Had a bunch of errands to run as well. Took the Stealthbox out and ghetto sound-proofed it with towels under the rear-deck...lol. Hope it doesn't start a fire with the rear brake light wiring =). Sounds much better now, but am still going to take it out for good and put a 10 in.

I also still have the Dunlop M3s on, and in drives like that I push my car. Don't want to make a stupid mistake...so not taking the risk. If anything, I was going to ride with one of the clowns, but errands prevailed.

I think some peeps are getting together after the drive, though. Dunno if I'll go. I'm supposed to go to Lehigh tonite to visit a friend.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:43 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Gotcha!