A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What kind of aftermarket intake is avaliable for my 12v besides the overpriced LLtek one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of aftermarket intake is avaliable for my 12v besides the overpriced LLtek one?
Old 06-21-2002, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default homebrew something, but the LLtek is a nice piece...

they charge a premium, but any yokel can buy it, and install it.

Dave did a crazy custom job on his car...you just need to look at where you want to draw air, how to get it to a cone filter, and how to insulate that filter from the heat emanating from the engine. Other than that, its just a case of running the MAF and a couple sensors through the piping.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 06-21-2002, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The money you would spend on a ...

Kit from someone like LLtek, you could go to Home Depot and build yourself a nice TRUE cold air setup for half the cost. I know its sounds stupid but its not. These kits only introduce hot engine bay air into your intake/MAF which is really not that great..
Old 06-21-2002, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are a few out there...

I know evo has one, but it is more expensive than the lltek (if that's possible). TAP has one, and it is by far the cheapest, but it does not come with a heat shield like the others, so you'll actually lose power due to the increased heat into your intake... you'd have to make your own shield, which isn't hard, just a pain in the ***. TAP's is about $125 I believe.

If there are more out there though, I'd like to know so I could compare what they have to offer.

Oh, and btw, you still interested in those bulbs?

-Justin
Old 06-21-2002, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sigh...not really true....

intakes are valid, but have to be done right. Last i checked when a car is MOVING the filter is getting cool air...standing still in traffic it might be a conern.

My intake gives me better throttle response, and a stronger mid-high end...i installed my intake onto otherwise stock car (with chip) at time and i liked the change.

But you are correct, home depot it if you are reasonably handy and don't mind tinkering. Or, order LLtek's and drop it into the car in an hour if you like it simple.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The bulbs....

I found someone that can get me a set locally so I won't be interested. Sorry. BTW, do you have an intake? I am seriously looking into it. I just don't want to fork out $200 for LLtek's.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't want to go home depot style so I am going to go with a kit most likely.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Valid, yes but...

I bought all the parts I needed to put mine together for under 15 bucks and I would say its 10x more efficient than LLtek's. The reason, because I did the RS4-look conversion to my S4 front which left me pretty decent surface area at the bumper grille for a collector. At a stand-still, cold air. At 80mph, just stick your hand out the window, nuff said.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can you show me how to make my own intake? 15 bucks... that's freakin cheap!
Old 06-21-2002, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've been shopping around, and I'm in the same situation...

I really don't want to fork out 200 bones on an intake. I'm also not sure if I want the added volume either. It sounds cool and all, but I'm not sure if I want to tolerate it in the long run... decisions decisions decisions.

I'm tempted to go with the TAP and come up with some sort of heat shield, but at the same time, for an extra 100, I can save myself the headache of designing a shield and installing one by just picking up the lltek, where the work has already been done for you.

-Justin

Quick Reply: What kind of aftermarket intake is avaliable for my 12v besides the overpriced LLtek one?