A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Windshield replacement HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement HELP!!!!

Recently had my 2000 A4 windshield replaced by a company that was hired by my
insurance company. They told me that they had to order special Audi sealent before
they come to replace it. They came out to my work location but didn't have the right
windshield. At that time they said they would have to order a windshield from Audi.
After a week they comes out again and actully replace it. It was a sunny day but the
temperature was about 40 degrees. I watch the installer do the job. He pulled the
molding from the top of the existing windshield and cut the windshield out with a razor
knife. He applied a black sealent to the windshield frame on the car and placed the
windshield on. replaced the vertical moldings and replaced the rear view mirror. I noticed
that no molding was reinstalled at the top of the windshield. The installer pointed out
that Audi windshields have the top molding preattached to the windshield. I was satified
with that answer. He told me not to slam the doors and to leave some tape on the
edges of the windshild for 24 hours. I did that but soon after that I notice some wind
noise almost like an air leak. But I couldn't find the leak so I thought it was just air noise
from outside the car. This noise seems to be at the top of the windshield. I originally
thought that the windshield should have been placed closer to the roof when installed. I
called the installer to complain and they came out again. Trying to satify me they tried
to repair by caulking the top of the windshield and replacing the top molding. This too
didn't work. And to top it off, after a hard rain the floor on the drivers side was wet. I'm
having the windshield replaced again in May when it is warmer. Does anyone have any
other advise?
Old 04-09-2001, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmm..i am having the same experience.....

Cept i took my car in to have the front half of it stripped and painted. I got it back and noticed that I had a lot of wind noise. The painted the roof but when i inquired about it they said that they never took out the windshield. I took a closer look at it and there is a gap between the seal at the top and where I would hope it would meet the paint. I had a my windshield replaced a whiole back and it was fine. I think the body shop is trying a fast one on me and didn't replace the seal right or replaced it with the wrong one. The windshield place gave me a lifetime garauntee so i might take it to them and see what they can do.