A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

APR stage 1+ by itself, NO DMIC or exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Olaf, it's secure my to have feedback of somebody who had already my comming set up. Did you change your hoses? inlet and 3 turbo hoses, I think I will order those from Samco. Just to prevent hoses collapsing du to more psi.
I am also asking myself if I can push a little more the timming to level 6 instead of level 5. At Revo they said for timing adjustment, range 4 to 6 for 93 octane. and I fuel with octane 94.
They also said that setting at too optimistic level could bring the ECU to pull back to secure the engine. And if I understand well the fact that the ECU pull back to bring adaptation values who are at low level, these values have to be reset using Vag-Com by doing a throttle body alignment. Just after the adaptation values have been reset, you could again use the SPS to give more realistic level.
I think I will ask that to my Revo guy before change my setting, i don't want to play with that, I'm don't know enough about it.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

My Revo stage 1 seems to have adapted a bit more since I got a few miles on it. The increase in torque in the mid range is very nice on a tiptronic car. For our wimpy 91 gas, they can only set the timing for 2, but I was able to use the 6 boost setting, probably because I got the TIP and a very good DV. I see 20 pound peaks and can hold 17-18 pounds sometimes, other times 15-16.

I have decided to get an AWE FMIC as soon as I can scrounge up a few more bucks, I almost had the money for it now, but both of my rear window regulators went out within 1 day of each other! (That infamous blue plastic piece of crap regulator part disintergrated.) Anyway, even with stage 1 in cool Northern Califonia, I have experienced Heat soak already climbing the hills here under higher boost

I have a question for Olaf. So at some point after I get my FMIC, if I can find a deal on some TT injectors and get Revo to do a stage 2 upgrade for me, what exactly does the software modify? maybe a pound or two more boost, but canthe timing settings safely go up a bit even with 91 gas? I know there was a "fuel' portion of stage one program that was not adjustable. is that something they tweak to give more power with the bigger injectors for stage 2?
Old 04-26-2009, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, w/ Stage 2 you can set fuel, timing, and boost. The larger injectors allow you to run higher boost because you can now provide additional fuel. The Stage 1 program was limited by the small OEM injectors. OEM injectors are roughly 280cc whereas the TT's or Genesis are in the 360-380cc range. I agree that you really need an FMIC and downpipe/free-flow exhaust to unlock the full potential of the programming. It is all a matter of how much power you need and how much money you are willing to spend. Remember, there is always another level, lol.

There are always deals on injectors if you look around the classifieds and ask around the forums. Also, be careful with the TIP as that trans can only take so much power before you risk having problems.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't go any higher than a mildly tuned stage 2, which should still be within the tiptronic limits. I just had a complete service done on the tranny as well. Stage 2 with a FMIC and TT injectors would probably end up being in the 220 HP range on 91 gas, with maybe 260 or so torgue. That's way less than stage 1 with the newer 2.0 cars. I think my Tiptronic can handle that.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Torque Under the Curve

The main thing you gain with the 1+ programming is the torque. Look at the area under the curve.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Olaf, you say you run Revo Stage 2 with BI but no intercooler and no downpipe.
Do you know at what Boost level and timming level the tuner set your car.
Do you have an aftermarket turbo Inlet hose.
How much miles got your car.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will find out from the tuner what levels he used. I run exclusively 93 octane and my car is a 2005 Avant w/ 63k miles. I also am running NGK BKR7E copper spark plugs gapped to about .030". I haven't changed my hoses, though I know the OEM ones are fairly soft rubber.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

for those that have the big injector flash from REVO with only big injectors (and maybe a DV), but stock cat, exhaust, and IC -- where did you get flashed??..

i dont have a REVO dealer near me, so i was going to send my ECU to REVO, but they wont do the Stage 2 (big injector, =APR 1+) without other supporting mods..

i understand they want to protect their reputation, but so many have said they've done it and its not a problem.. and i know my driving style and i believe it will be fine as well..
Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, i was looking at the numbers, and i dont know if Stage 2(1+) without supporting mods (or even with them for that matter) makes sense..

i really want Stage 2(1+).. but i also looked at the numbers and if you de-tune the stage 2 flash (to compensate for an otherwise stock motor), it wont be much more than stage 1 for 1/2 the price (injectors are almost the same cost as the flash during a sale)..

Stock = 170hp/166lbs-ft

Stage 1 = 205hp/240lb-ft

Stage 2 = 230hp/270lb-ft
but you wont get those numbers and it is not recommended without either upgraded Intercooler or exhaust (which i wouldnt mind doing down the road).. but MANY are running Stage 2 with ONLY the large injectors with NO issues other than heatsoak and say it is much better than Stage 1.. it is helpful that PA has 93 octane (CA only has 91).. also the Stage 2(1+) flash can be de-tuned slightly until other upgrades are done..

comments??..

sorry for rambling, but i am running out of time.. and yes, i am probably over thinking it..
Old 04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

The thing for me that may keep me at stage 1 is my Tiptronic . Read a bunch of info at the AZ forum about shifting problems when people added the injectors and APR's 1+ with the tiptronics. The programming for the transmissions doesn't like 270 foot pounds of low rpm torque, and many people were having problems with clumsy shifting, slipping between shifts, gear hunting, etc. people were fooling around with tranny set up codes with their VAG tools, but no one seemed totally satisfied with the results.

I still might get a FMIC at some point soon to take more advantage of the grains Revo stage 1 gives me and for more consistent power. The power from stage 1 is really noticeable and gives the car what it lacked the most, some bottom end. As of right now, my tranny shifts better than it did stock. Less hesitation, more bottom end power makes the car feel much more responsive. Time to quit while I am ahead!

Quick Reply: APR stage 1+ by itself, NO DMIC or exhaust