A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

APR stage 1+ by itself, NO DMIC or exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like stage 1 is definitely the right choice for your tip..

i actually just ordered my injectors and DV and paid my REVO dealer for Stage 2.. i will be sending out my ECU next wk (none close by)..

i decided many people have chimed in and said they had no issues running stage 2 (=APR 1+) with injectors only and from several that had 1 and 2 and that 2 was a nice increase over 1..

so i figured:
-a- it will work great as is as many people stated.. definitely some heatsoak, but livable for my driving style..
-b- i keep my eye open of a deal on an Apikol SMIC..
-c- i flash back to stage 1..

have fun with you "new" car..
Old 04-30-2009, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its easy to forget when reading posts that most people who are modding these cars have manual transmissions, so some of the advise does not apply to tipronic owners.

My revo installer suggested if I decide to do a FMIC and a performance downpipe, to come in again and he's run the car and see if I could get a bit more out of stage 1 by fine tuning the program and logging it. He again recommended against stage 2 Revo on a Tiptronic car from personal experience.

I am leaning towards the FMIC because where I live, there are a lot of hills and long grades I am climbing on a regular basis, so there are periods of extended boost. It can over run the tiny factory IC pretty quickly, especially now with 17 pounds boost instead of 8. It is a lot more fun being able to climb the hills with ease now though.

I am learning a lot about my car from the forums and my Revo contacts. I didn't know the Tiptronic is what is called a torque sensing tranny and that is one of the reasons it gets messed up when you up the torque of the engine too much. I read about people having issues with the cars at Stage 1+ where it won't stay in 5th gear on the freeway at higher speeds-and instead downshifts into 4th.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm still waiting for my TT225 Bosch Injectors, I hope today UPS will ring at the door.
I will run on Revo Stage 2 with only an HyperBoost DV, I will set the boost at a low level first, with Revo SPS Select Plus Switch, I will progressively give more boost, see what happen and found the perfect setting for my way of driving without damaging.
Today with Revo Stage 1 and 94 octane gaz, boost 7 and timming 5, the little 1.8T is pretty quit, I'm can't wait any longer to feel the difference...
Old 05-01-2009, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wish we had at least 93 gas here in California. It is so much of an advantage to be able to run higher octane in a turbo charged car.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Look what I receive today
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got my FMIC installed, along with a performance down pipe (not test pipe). Car runs very smooth, and picked up some noticeable power throughout the rpm range. Really nice to not have to worry about heat soak ever. At some point, Since I now have good supporting mods, I might take a chance and try stage 2 revo tuned moderately. The guys who have run it with a Tiptronic for a good amount of time said it hasn't hurt the tranny, and shifting the car with the paddles or in Sport mode still works great. In drive, it may hunt and do some funny shifting from time to time-like when on cruise control. But you can always use sport mode or shift manually. I am looking at the Genesis $250 380CC Injectors + a $50 Revo upgrade and a few bucks for the shop. If I hate it, I can flash back to stage 1 and sell the injectors. Maybe try it in a few weeks.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

What brand FMIC and downpipe did you go with? Any CE light w/ the downpipe?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

For an FMIC I would take is the AWE, it's seem to be the best.

I went today to take rendez-vous to install Revo Stage 2 and my TT225 injectors.
it will bw next tuesday.
I ask what would be the next step for me and Mike, the mecanic, said it should be a Cat Back and I said that the best one for my use should be the AWE.
Could somebody refer me the best place to buy at the lower price.
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Olaf

I did kind of an impulse buy an a Evolution raceworoks Sport FMIC (in black anodised for stealth).

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/product.php?prodid=9

It did require a lot of minor trimming on the very bottom inside areas of the bumper to get it to fit perfectly. No structural stuff had to be altered, all plastic.

I like that kit because they relocate the smog pump for a more direct route from the turbo, use really nicely made aluminum tubing, and even throw in a relocation kit and small cooler for the power steering lines that are in the way. Its perfect size for a K03 turbo, and i didn't lose any boost pressure. The instructions were not detailed enough, but what else is new.

I did not get a cat replacement test pipe, but the long down pipe that comes off the cat and ends up about half way towards the back of the car. No CEL's. the guys at Techtonics tuning said the factory cat isn't as bad as it gets talked up in the forums, and they found that an improved breathing downpipe adds 6 hp and allows the turbo to spin up faster and opens up the top end a bit. They suggested i do the downpipe, and keep the factory cat and exhaust. the combination of the fmic and downpipe is a very dramatic change in the power and smoothness of the car.

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/show...s.asp?catid=10 Click on the one for your particular set up. They actually make one for the Tiptronic in a 2.5 inch.

A friend of mine who has a 2 liter car drove it today and said the power response felt more like the FSI 2 liter than a 1.8.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also found a way to get rid of the idle vibration that may of the A4's have, especially the tipronic cars when in gear at a stop. here is the thread at the AZ forum.

We started trouble shooting this idle vibration issue when the car was on the lift getting the FMIC installed. Turned out to be mostly the tranny mounts gone soft.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282599

Few photos of my car. Can't even see the inter cooler from outside the car!

http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/ss164/onlyaudis/

Quick Reply: APR stage 1+ by itself, NO DMIC or exhaust