A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Based on some *real* inside info, if I was chipping, I'd get the GIAC in a second.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the current version is 01C, but double check with Todd / AWE to make sure.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default NuA4, I'm sure you mean well, but

How do you expect this to sway anyone? If I told you my cousin Vinny told me Garett Chips are OK, and he's worked with Garett, would you be convinced?

I think the only way to really sway opinion here is to show verifiable dyno plots along with a Horiba A/F meter chart for the same run , to prove there's no fueling issue. Maybe I missed it, but was this done?
Old 03-13-2002, 05:51 AM

Haven't heard anything negative since the 01C version...good sign!
Old 03-13-2002, 05:53 AM

Now all we gotta see is dyno's of the 01C version.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not trying to sway anyone. If you read this and my past posts, my "opinion" would have some merit.

I was waiting for APR to develop their chip, but there is no need. My personal opinion is that there must be some reason other than the fuel system, that APR has not brought a chip to market. The problem is kind of obvious, if you ask me. Knowing what I do now, the APR Picnic reeks of the old Roman "Bread & Circus" approach to appealing to the masses. Not trying to sway anyone away from a company they have faith in. If you were waiting on a Garrett chip because another company gave the impression it was not safe, that is total bs and really has no place in bussiness. As far as your "cousin" question, yes, if he worked with Garrett and I had been reading your posts for 6 months with nothing to say about any tuners untill you got the final word, I would belive you.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:11 AM

Default Comments...

>My personal opinion is that there must be some reason other than the fuel system, that APR has not brought a chip to market.

This is precisely what some people would like for you to believe.

Here are some facts. The 2002 A4's engine is virtually identical to it's predecessor, the 2001 A4 powerplant. The only major functional change to the engine's hardware itself was the fuel system. The electronics are also very similar, nearly identical. One slight change is that Bosch/Audi have implemented several security measures in the 2002 A4 programming including a digital security mechanism. This mechanism is the ONLY THING preventing someone familiar with programming the 2001 A4 from simply copying tables over from the 2001 to the 2002 A4 and having a functional program. Any programmer halfway familiar with assembly programming can circumvent the digital signature issue in any of over a half-dozen ways. We find it humorous that anyone, especially our competitors, would think that there is a code issue preventing us from releasing the chip for the 2002 A4. We have gone farther with the Bosch Motronic system than our competitors could dream of, incorporating a full array of new functionality (EMCS) directly into the assembly code of the Motronic system. For someone with our capabilities, the security mechanisms in the 2002 A4 programming were almost mundane in their simplicity to overcome. We have had software-only solutions running in our test vehicles for months. Do the cars feel OK? Sure, but this solution does not meet our stringent product requirements.

Which leaves fuelling. The 2002 A4 fuel issue is real. The fuel injectors on the 2002 A4 did not change from those on the 2001 A4 but the fuel pressure dropped. Hence, fuel flow is lower- end of story. The fuel flow is inadequate, in our opinion, to properly handle an optimized chip upgrade with the proper margins for safety and reliability our customers expect. Many of our competitors, equipped with full staffs and professional facilities, seem to agree.

Brett
APR
Old 03-13-2002, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's been 6 months. What exactly is the problem besides "stringent product requirements"?

Do you really claim you have gone farther with the BOSCH Motronic System than an actual BOSCH Service Center? Enough said.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can't compare them to a company that dosen't even have a chip out!

I't easy to sit back and criticise when you don't have a product on the market for others to de-construct.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So you're saying the fuel system is adequate?

Whats the minimmum A/F ratio reached on Giac's Chip? Do you know? Do you know what a safe A/F ratio is?

Maybe the Bosch Center does? I wasn't aware Bosch service centers do assembly programming, do they?

You've gotta be careful when designing a chip, you have to factor in the customer might put a test-pipe and 3" exhaust in, or even up the turbo without changing to new programming. People have done this in the past, and if their engine started to ping or detonate, they blamed the chip.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, "I" don't test engines. APR knows everything, but still has NO product on the market!

I do know what a scizometric ratio is.

Quick Reply: Based on some *real* inside info, if I was chipping, I'd get the GIAC in a second.