A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Calling all Audi Experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Audi Experts

First of all....hello to everyone on this site. I'm new to the site and used to be an Audi owner and am now hoping to be one again. I'm reaching out to all of you, as I know some, but would like to learn more about the B6 A4.

I test drove an 04 A4 1.8T, tip tronic with the sport package. The car has 120K on it right now. It is a beautiful car and seems like everything is in perfect working order. I did feel like I could hear a noise coming from one of the wheel bearings, but it is possible that it was tire noise as well because the rears are worn pretty good. My guess is that quattro's should have all 4 tires replaced at once, but the owner put new ones on the front but not the rear.

The timing belt was done at 95K, which also seems a little odd knowing they should be replaced at 60K. This is a two owner car and the first owner is the one that had the timing belt done. I'm going to call the Audi dealer who has done all the maintence to see what type of info I can gather. The car has a clean car fax and seems to be very clean inside and out.

One piece of maintence that has me a bit concerned was that the oil pump was just replaced. Is this something that typically fails on this car? The mechanic that replaced the pump said today that when he opened it up, there was no sludge in the pan and that all the journals and bearings looked good.

Last thing is the tranny. Is the tip tronic tranny typically a long lasting transmission, or do they typically crap out at this mileage. Obviously, this can vary, but this tranny has been around long enough that I'm hoping some trend info is out there.

Well, I think this is enough of my ramblings. Any info any of you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks to you that have taken the time to read this and I look forward to leaving more posts in the near future!!!