A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Coolant Temperature Flashing Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Temperature Flashing Light

Coolant Temperature Light had come on about 2 weeks ago. First thing I did was check the coolant level, everything was good it was just right above the minimum level. Second thing I checked was to see if the coolant tank had any crack or leaks and nope it was perfect. I drove the car back from a trip I was in and during the trip I kept my eye on the temperature gauge. It stayed right in the middle the entire way so, I knew the car was receiving coolant.I figured at this point the coolant temperature sensor was out so I got it replaced. I knew to reset the computer you take the battery connection out so, I took the negative side off the battery and left it for about 15mins. I then put the battery back on and the coolant light still came back on. I don't know what could be wrong a this point in need of help.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by majinruu
Coolant Temperature Light had come on about 2 weeks ago. First thing I did was check the coolant level, everything was good it was just right above the minimum level. Second thing I checked was to see if the coolant tank had any crack or leaks and nope it was perfect. I drove the car back from a trip I was in and during the trip I kept my eye on the temperature gauge. It stayed right in the middle the entire way so, I knew the car was receiving coolant.I figured at this point the coolant temperature sensor was out so I got it replaced. I knew to reset the computer you take the battery connection out so, I took the negative side off the battery and left it for about 15mins. I then put the battery back on and the coolant light still came back on. I don't know what could be wrong a this point in need of help.
Hello Majinruu,
Do you have a scan ?
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/applications/a4s4.html

Old 10-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately I do not, I took it in to autozone and they said they couldn't see anything wrong.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately I do not, I took it in to autozone and they said they couldn't see anything wrong.
Unfortunately AZ scan will not help, you need to have A Ross-Tech setup to properly diagnose any VAG vehicle.

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS

Old 10-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I see, any ideas on what you think the problem might be? Usually most places charge quite a bit for a diagnostic.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I see, any ideas on what you think the problem might be? Usually most places charge quite a bit for a diagnostic.
Sorry, but I have not been under the hood of a 3.0 in some years, I mostly work on A8 4.2, W12, and my B, but you may check to see if in fact the 3.0 has more then one sensor, click the attachment and link.

https://parts.audiusa.com/a/Audi_200...G/1397080.html

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Temperature Flashing Light-capture-temp-a4.png  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Usually most places charge quite a bit for a diagnostic.
For $199.00 you could own your scan tool, almost pays for itself the first time instead of going to the dealer for a scan, you will need a laptop.

The $199 will get you the 3 # VIN option.

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

Old 10-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update: I ended up checking out the coolant level sensor, it appears that the sensor is built into the coolant box. I unhooked it to check it out and hooked it back on and the coolant light ended up going away. I guess it wasn't attached properly before or I got lucky but thanks for the info!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Update: I ended up checking out the coolant level sensor, it appears that the sensor is built into the coolant box. I unhooked it to check it out and hooked it back on and the coolant light ended up going away. I guess it wasn't attached properly before or I got lucky but thanks for the info!
Glad it worked out, if it happens again, you may need to replace the coolant tank as the level sensor is built-in, sorry I did not think of that right off the bat, back in 2011 my A8l 4.2 had the tank level sensor get stuck, I would get the big red temp symbol in the drivers information screen, but the temp was fine and no overheating or hot for that matter, one time the symbol came on at cold startup, right then that led me to tank coolant level, it turned out someone prior to me had stuck the silicone cartridges into the tank, which then gunked up the float or sensor, so when my A8L W12 did thee same thing, I went for the tank, but no, it ended up being the G62 temp sensor.....
Attached Images