A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Dealer trying to screw me on timing belt failure.....NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer trying to screw me on timing belt failure.....NEED HELP!!!

I have a 99 A4 2.8Q. I had my mechanic (in Chicago) do my timing belt at 89k. I have a 3rd party warranty out to 100k so I figured I'd better adhere to factory recommendations to keep that warranty valid. Anyway, at 97k, I had some work done at a local Audi dealer. They changed my serpentine belt, belt tensioner, and water pump. 5 weeks later my timing belt tensioner loosened (due to an over-torqued bolt that broke off), my timing belt then loosened and started sliding around. Needless to say, my engine is totally hosed. I had my car towed to an Audi dealer, who diagnosed the problem and told me the original dealer that did the water pump should be held responsible. So I towed my car to that dealer. They are saying it is NOT their fault because they did my water pump and NOT my timing belt (which I told them didn't need done because I had just done it at 89k). Anyway, I digress...

We all know there is no way to replace a water pump without removing the timing belt. I had a certified Audi dealer confirm this today (both a tech and their lead tech) as well as my mechanic in the city (who is the best mechanic I've ever had!). The Audi dealer actually laughed when I told him that's what the other dealer had said. Basically, we have a case of a mechanic trying to cover his back side. so....

Does anyone have the Audi service manual out there? Can anyone confirm that the repair procedure for a water pump involves removing the timing belt or at least adjusting the tensioner? I would love to see those pages in PDF form if someone can really hook me up.

Otherwise, my repair estimate is more than the car is worth and my 3rd party is saying they won't touch it because whoever messed with the timing belt tensioner last is the culprit. Can someone help me out?? Any other advice???
Old 02-22-2005, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

my advice to you: TRY THE B5 FORUM!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you could say that a bit more sympathetically,a)The guy's got major trauma, b)B6 has same engine.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default b). He doesn't have the same engine. He has the 2.8, and we have a 3.0

All these noobs with their B5's keep coming over here asking us questions when their cars break down. They can't even find the right forum, let alone fix their car