A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

HELP! Fluids leaking galore

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Fluids leaking galore

So.....here's what happened:

* I was reversing a couple hundred feet (accelerating on the gas), and things started sounding rougher. Engine stalled out (I have a 5-speed tip tranny btw).
Re-started engine, and continued in reverse, and parked the car.

* Came back an hour later (after my softball game), and when I started the car and idled, the RPMs seem to be 'dragged down', with a whiny / grindy sound (like the engine or something in the drive train is rusted).

* Drove a little bit and the sound seemed to subside, but with a faint 'background' whiny sound corresponding to the engine's RPMs. Baby'ed to a parking lot.

* Noticed massive leaking of two fluids flowing from what seemed to be the passenger side: one quite dark (like motor oil), and one that looked like amber (the coolant I've used recently has been 'universal' amber-coloured, as well as 'universal' yellow-coloured).

* Raised the front of the car on ramps, took off the plastic belly pan and took some pics. The fluid in the pan looks greenish, and there also seems to be some oil leak on the driver's side of the engine beside the oil filter.

I've posted some pics in an album under my az account (there are captions describing where each pic was taken). Please take a close look at the pics and let me know what you think:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2049

Other recent symptoms:

* HVAC seems to want to cool the cabin, even when temp set rather high (25 degrees C) - only when the temp is set very high, then the heat kicks in but weakly.

* Upon opening the coolant reservoir, the level initially appears high, but after a lot of hissing (air in the cooling system), the level drops to the min level.

* Note: I admit I used some coolant leak fix stuff to buy some time before I replace the flange in the back.

The grinding/whining sound has me worried - is it gear oil? Or tranny fluid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!