A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Individually Adjust Xenon Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Individually Adjust Xenon Lights?

From the day I bought my A4 the headlights have been out of whack. I always try to be courteous so I feel like and *** with misaligned headlights possibly blinding people.

I took this photo parked against a wall:

I was thinking the right light was low but now I'm thinking the left one is high. I drive about 20 cars per day (for work) and their headlights all reach a certain point on various objects. When I hop back into my car, the right light seems to match what the other cars do, but the left one is pretty high.

Looking under the hood I only saw a small adjustment screw (horizontal, black, top-middle of light) that allowed maybe 1/8 of an inch of adjustment. This is not nearly enough. I tried fixing it with the vag com, but I can only raise/lower Both lights, which doesn't help anything. The load sensors show 50% load which I assume is normal. Is there a setting with the vag com that allows me to individually adjust the lights? Or am I missing a manual adjustment? It seems my only option left is to tinker with the headlight assembly itself. Doesn't look like there's much room for adjustment there though.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by audi_buff
From the day I bought my A4 the headlights have been out of whack. I always try to be courteous so I feel like and *** with misaligned headlights possibly blinding people.

I took this photo parked against a wall:

I was thinking the right light was low but now I'm thinking the left one is high. I drive about 20 cars per day (for work) and their headlights all reach a certain point on various objects. When I hop back into my car, the right light seems to match what the other cars do, but the left one is pretty high.

Looking under the hood I only saw a small adjustment screw (horizontal, black, top-middle of light) that allowed maybe 1/8 of an inch of adjustment. This is not nearly enough. I tried fixing it with the vag com, but I can only raise/lower Both lights, which doesn't help anything. The load sensors show 50% load which I assume is normal. Is there a setting with the vag com that allows me to individually adjust the lights? Or am I missing a manual adjustment? It seems my only option left is to tinker with the headlight assembly itself. Doesn't look like there's much room for adjustment there though.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
You're looking in the wrong area; the black screw just mounts the light on the car.. There are two white nylon(?) screws at the sides of the light housing that adjust the projector. You need to look down vertically to see them (for the one closest to the side of the car you may have to look through a hole in the metal bracket above the light. Your left side light does look high; the high point of the left bean should be level with the high point of the right or if you wish you can make the left high line up with the low portion of the right side to make a step like pattern. I've done this with my 2005 A4 and it's pretty straight forward once you find the screws. I used a large philips scredriver to make the adjustment. The screws should rotate quite easily and you will see the light pattern change when projecting against a wall.