A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

So you think you want a BOV and your car will be fine ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So you think you want a BOV and your car will be fine ...

Real world story I caught on another board ...

"Ok, i'll tell you my experience.

I have a HKS SSQ BOV, i ran it in BOV mode for about a year before i started having problems. Prior to the problems, i had no problem what so ever, the car ran great with it and i loved the noise. anyways back to the problems that occured. First thing that went was my engine temp sensor, i had that replaced cause it was a cheap part, didn't think much of it at the time cause the N249 Fault Code wasn't showing up yet.

Anyways, shortly after replacing my engine temp sensor, i got another check engine light, this time it was for the N249 Valve, Mechanical Failure, so after seeing that fault code, i went back to running my Diverter Valve but nothing changed, the CEL woudln't go away and kept on coming back after numerious times of clearing it with a VAG. About 2 weeks later, I got some more codes from my check engine lights. This one was for the Upstream O2 Sensor.

So all in all, after 1 year of runnig my car in BOV mode, i had replaced 2 Engine Temp Sensors, Up and Downstream 02 Sensor and i think my Cat is on the verge of dying and so i might need to buy a new cat for my car as well.

So is it worth it to run the BOV?? made for you but for me all that headache and time and effort and money running around the shops and getting my car fixed was a bitch. I think at the time when everything went, i had about 8 or 9 Fault Codes.

My car is now runnning the HKS SSQ in Diverter Valve (recirculationg) mode."

Hope this helps
Old 09-17-2003, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did not know the HKS BOV could be run in either mode [vent to atmosphere / recirculating].

I would just use a "plumb-back" DV/BPV/RBV; like TurboXS RBV-25, Stratmosphere Hyperboost, Forge, or other and avoid the possible problems. The car was just not designed for venting to atmosphere. So why fight what the engineers designed it for. Sure the noise might be nice, but with the TurboXS RBV-25 and a P-Flow on my VW 1.8t, I have a pretty nice sound (spooling up and venting). It's good enough for me w/o getting into BOV problems.