A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

timing belt snaped

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt snaped

i had the timing belt snap on me while i was driving and so when i got it back to the house i was going to put a belt on it to see if i had anything messed up inside the motor.I lined up the timing mark up on the cam shaft sprocket with the mark on the valve cover and then i lined up the mark on the crank shaft pulley with the mark on the timing belt cover and proceeded to put a belt on and cranked it by hand a few times before trying to start it. it turned easy and didn't hear any metal hitting or ticking or any sound out of the ordinary. so i tried to start it and i got nothing. Everything is turning with no bad sounds.i checked the plugs and i am getting spark , they kinda smelled like fuel. i tried spraying starting fluid in it and still got nothing. Next i ran a compression test on it and the needle didn't move at all on all 4 cylinders. That makes me think thats its still out of time but with both marks lined up and cylinder number one at it is highest point i cant figure out how it could be outta time. Any suggestions on what i should do or what i should check would be great
Old 09-20-2017, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by qdp5000
i had the timing belt snap on me while i was driving and so when i got it back to the house i was going to put a belt on it to see if i had anything messed up inside the motor.I lined up the timing mark up on the cam shaft sprocket with the mark on the valve cover and then i lined up the mark on the crank shaft pulley with the mark on the timing belt cover and proceeded to put a belt on and cranked it by hand a few times before trying to start it. it turned easy and didn't hear any metal hitting or ticking or any sound out of the ordinary. so i tried to start it and i got nothing. Everything is turning with no bad sounds.i checked the plugs and i am getting spark , they kinda smelled like fuel. i tried spraying starting fluid in it and still got nothing. Next i ran a compression test on it and the needle didn't move at all on all 4 cylinders. That makes me think thats its still out of time but with both marks lined up and cylinder number one at it is highest point i cant figure out how it could be outta time. Any suggestions on what i should do or what i should check would be great
Chances are that you did bend some valves on all cylinders. You could remove the valve cover, and look at each bucket lifter and it's cam lobe. There should be no space between them, but if a cam lobe is away from the lifter, without the lifter touching the cam surface, that would be evidence of a bent valve stem. But at the end of the day, the cylinder head needs to come off for repair or replacement.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so should i see if i can get a whole new head, the motor has over 200k on it , is it even work fixing or should i just get a new motor and then my other option is to just sell the car as is and see what i can get out of it