A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Any guesses on B8 A4 U.S. engine offerings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For sure, diesels are not in fashion here.

But I'm sure we'll see more of them in the future from lots of other brands since that looks like the next trend now that hybrids have sort of played out.

As for consumers coming around to the 2.0T, I'm not sure the actual sales numbers for A4 2.0Ts versus 325i, C230, G35, etc. say that people are embracing the thought of a more economical luxury car. Does that make sense? No, but it's reality.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Sorry but I love the 2.0T

HP Numbers mean nothing!!

It's where that horse power and torque occurs in the RPM range and how long it stays there that means everything.

On the expresway in fourth these cars are fantasic. I played with one of the new Chevy Impala SS's all the way from Lansing to Detroit and he couldn't gain an inch on me, in fact there were a couple of occassions when I pulled
away.

On paper the Chevy looks like a killer, but factor weight, gear ratio's and torque curve
and it makes a big difference.

The fuel economy is great, the low end torque is fantastic all in all I think its a very well balanced motor. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a V6 that feels this good down low.

I don't have a problem with the idle noise - its a byproduct of FSI, frankly under acceleration I think this motor sounds great.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Come to think of it...

I was thinking about this while getting lunch, and I'm coming to the conclusion of, "Do I really want Audi to become a true BMW/MB/Lexus competitor?"

For the prestige, probably, and for the good of the company, definitely. But Audi isn't doing *that* poorly over the past few years, and the brand is respected, even if it's not at the level of BMW/MB. If it becomes BMW/MB, then we, as Audi fans, lose the following:

1. Lower Cost - Audi cars will cost as much as BMW/MB

2. Driver Image - Think about the "general" population that drives a BMW/MB (absolutely no offense to people here who drive BMW/MB who are knowledgeable and good drives!!!). Do we really want the stereotype that BMW drivers are snobby/arrogant and MB drivers are usually pretty poor drivers? =) One of the reasons I didn't get a BMW is because of that driver image problem. Also, some friends who have gone to a BMW dealership have faced the "It's a BMW" excuse for anything that's flawed on the car... "Why doesn't the car have rear air bags?" "It's a BMW" =P

3. Uniqueness/Exclusivity - Face it, a lot of people want to drive a certain brand to distinguish themselves from the "Honda/Toyota" horde. These days, driving a BMW or MB is no longer special. Everyone and their mother owns one and drives one. while driving an Audi, I still give a nod or smile to another Audi driver that passes by, since there are so few of us.

The only benefit I can see of Audi becoming the same as BMW/MB for the DRIVERS is their service would probably get better and we would all get Audi loaners =P

Otherwise, what's good for the company MIGHT not be the best for us, the drivers. =)
Old 02-14-2007, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Very true...

but I think the diesel (BlueTec was it?) cars that Audi wants to bring is to open a new market, the market of environment friendly/cost conscious Americans.

I bet you that Lexus will come out with a hybrid soon, with the success of the Prius and Camary Hybrids. then the high MPG luxury car wars will begin... =)
Old 02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haha, I don't have inferiority complex, I just laugh at how much more the others paid for their BMW!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Elder Member

Default Well, they do have the hybrid GS and RX already.

A hybrid IS or ES wouldn't be too far fetched.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default What engine idle noise? =)

I still don't know what people mean by the engine idle "noise". I can barely hear it, and I also love the noise the turbo makes when flooring the throttle... it makes it distinct from the non turbos out there. =)

To each their own.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Elder Member

Default "Otherwise, what's good for the company MIGHT not be the best for us, the drivers."

Nail on the proverbial head. I was just trying to look at it from the company's point of view.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Comparing BMW, MB, Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi

The "base" models, automatic, no AWD for each. Audi is $3-4K cheaper than all its competitors, the HP difference isn't great (especially compared to the BMW 328i and the IS250 - their hp and torque are so low for a V6, it's pretty bad), and the gas mileage is definitely the best of its class.

If they can give us a 220-230 HP 2.0T in the B8, then Audi's will be pretty competitive.<ul><li><a href="http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison?styleid=100761275&amp;styleid=10 0814243&amp;styleid=100822701&amp;styleid=10077804 8&amp;styleid=100756746&amp;maxvehicles=5&amp;refi d=&amp;op=3&amp;tab=print">http://www.edmun
Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yeah, that always happens when the companies get too successful...

... they forget about the needs of the drivers...

Quick Reply: Any guesses on B8 A4 U.S. engine offerings?