A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Tiptronic - switching upshift/downshift

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic - switching upshift/downshift

Love our new 2008 A4 Avant 3.2 with the Tiptronic and paddle shifters. To upshift (+) one pushes the "stick" forward, and to downshift (-) you pull it back. That feels unnatural to me. In my opinion BMW got it right (and Audi, Porsche, etc. wrong) in that they have it the other way: upshift (+) pull back, downshift (-) push forward. That just feels more ergonomically correct to me and mirrors the forces you feel when driving. Plus we have a MINI with it that way, so I'm always confused between the two cars which way to push/pull.

Does anyone know what is involved in switching the layout on the Audi? One would think it should be a trivial "switch the wires" on the shifter. After all it is only an electrical signal, nothing mechanical. Can it really be that simple? Any directions on how to do this?

I have no issue with the paddle shifters - they work great. I tend to favor them because of this confusion between the two cars. But there are numerous times where reaching for "the stick" just works better, so I'd really like a consist pattern.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:04 AM

I have found related posts on this topic, but all for older generation models. Has anyone any experience on the B7? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jm3xp
I have found related posts on this topic, but all for older generation models. Has anyone any experience on the B7? Thanks.
I am not sure whether you are referring to the steering wheel mounted paddle shifters or the console shift lever stick. On my '08 A4 2.0 QT Tip I have both - not sure this is so with the 3.2. On the wheel mounted paddles there is one on the left side that you pull toward you to pop down one gear and one on the right that you pull toward you to upshift. I like that, pretty easy! The console mounted shifter stick is like you describe amd I am used to that having had it on my '06 B7 A4 as well. Neither is a substitute for a stick shift or DSG, but they do give a sense of sportiness and control. I especially think the wheel mounted paddles can be fun, although I usually let the automtic tranny shift for me.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Forgot to mention that I feel the console lever's forward to upshift seems natural to me, given the number of sticks I've driven where the first to second shift has always been forward (typical H pattern).
Old 05-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I think BMW's got it wrong

Audi's got the console tip pattern correct. It should be forward for upshift IMO. Think about: aircraft throttle controls goes forward for more power (go faster). Even a horse slows down (hopefully) when you pull back.