A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5
Old 08-12-2016, 08:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Control Module Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Control Module Problem

A4 cab has 48,000 miles (under warranty); went into limp mode; and would not engage in reverse. I turned the car off and back on - car worked fine.

I took it into the dealer and, it turns out, the TCM needs to be replaced. I have the following questions:

1. I am concerned that there may be other related issues which may not be readily apparent until after the wattanty runs. Is there anything I should be looking for, any tests that should be run?
2. The dealer ordered the TCM from Germany - expects it to take 3 weeks for the part - normal?
3. I was thinking of having the transmission fluid changed while I was there. Good idea? Anything else I should get done related to this issue?

I feel extremely lucky that this happened before the warranty ran. I brought it in after reading about limp mode in this forum - and I thank you all for your help.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Transmission Control Module Problem

Somewhat unusual problem, but yes, good thing it happened now. It will have the usual parts warranty on it, for 1 year, 12k I think. Tranny fluid is probably a good idea, though the dealer won't officially recommend it. Seems unusual that the part would take so long. Typically, if it's not in stock somewhere in the U.S., you can ask parts to make it a "red order" and it comes overnight, though you may be asked to cough up a little extra for expedited shipping.

It may be worth asking your service manager to spend some time looking for any "warranty expiring" items while it's there, though often things just go south without much warning. They should check the computer for you for any codes indicating trouble now, beyond that it can be tough to "pre-diagnose".
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Pretty much agree...

The one thing I would add is to delay the trans fluid change. I would tend to follow whatever is in the manual (unless it says lifetime, then 100K). But mainly the reason for delaying is to be sure the TCM fixes the issue. You don't want to pay for a service only to find out a month later that you're getting a new trans on Audi. I'm fairly confident that won't happen, but since there is nothing to be gained by doing the trans fluid now or 3 months from now, why incur the additional risk?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default smart thinking...

I live a fair distance from my dealer, and thus have a bit of a difficult time (besides work) getting there to drop off and pick it up, so I tend to group services that may not need to all be done together. But RKA is right, if you have the luxury of waiting, then don't pay to have it all done at once, though it won't otherwise hurt anything.