A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Transmission pan impacted - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission pan impacted - Need Help

Hello,
I am a journeyman technician (but for nissan). My girlfriend bought a 2007 audi quattro 2.0L turbo a couple months ago.

Yesterday, she hit a peice of cement broken off a curb on her way home from work. The car made it half a block and lost drive, and the check engine light came on. She immediately shut the car off, called a tow truck and had the car towed to my work.

On inspection I found that the transmission pan was impacted, so I removed the pan and found that the transmission filter had broken causing the transmission pickup to not have sufficient suction.

Today I hammered out the dent in the pan, installed a new transmission filter, and refilled the transmission fluid (crazy expensive...). To refill the fluid I pumped it in until the fluid came out the filler plug, ran the engine and filled the fluid the rest of the way until it flowed out again.

Then when trying to drive the vehicle the transmission slips heavily in forwards and reverse (feels like the vehicle is in failsafe mode), and the check engine light came on. With a generic scan tool I had the code P2700 = Transmission Friction Element "A" Apply Time Range/Performance. But I am unable to access the transmission control unit using a snap-on solus scanner (the ecm just times out - not recieving signal for some reason).

I am wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions, what should I do next??
Old 12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This does not sound good. I assume you didn't loose fluids from the pan damage but if the pick up was broken it sound like you starved the transmission. If that's the case it most likely sounds like you will need to rebuild the transmission.Take it in to Audi for their code scanner. Also check to see if insurance will cover the rebuild if that is the problem. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
This does not sound good. I assume you didn't loose fluids from the pan damage but if the pick up was broken it sound like you starved the transmission. If that's the case it most likely sounds like you will need to rebuild the transmission.Take it in to Audi for their code scanner. Also check to see if insurance will cover the rebuild if that is the problem. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. I have assumed that this is the case as well. The insurance company has been contacted about the situation and they are sending an appraisier. I am just hoping that they will cover the cost of me replacing the transmission fluid and filter as a starting point in the diagnosis of the repair, as it was essential in diagnosing the transmission failure.

Thanks again.