A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Accelerator suddenly disengages

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accelerator suddenly disengages

Has anyone experienced their accelerator suddenly disengaging??

This has happened to me twice in as many weeks. In fact it's been a week today since this has last happened.

While driving on the highway my center console beeps and gives me two errors. One is the TPMS is malfunctioning and the second is the parking brake malfunctioning. But what's really disconcerting is that when these errors pop up the car disengages the accelerator while I'm driving at highway speeds!

Luckily both times was able to coast to the shoulder and out of traffic's way. Once on the shoulder simply shutting off and restarting the car takes care of the issue. No more error codes/signals and the car drives fine.

Anyone experience this?? Obviously sudden disengagement of the accelerator is very unsafe.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have a '10? If so, your car's TPMS system uses the ABS sensors to indirectly keep tabs on tire pressure. AFAIK, only the '09s use actual TPMS sensors in the wheels. Maybe have your dealership check your ABS as a start. If this system is at all involved w/ the functionality of the electronic e-brake, then even more reason to have it checked out.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have not experienced this, but my guess is that the accelerator is automatically disengaging due to the parking brake failure. It's probably a safety mechanism to prevent you from accelerating out of control. It's just my guess though so don't quote me on it.

However, get it checked immediately.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes. Sorry I forgot to mention I have a 2010 AT P+ Sports Package. I know about 2010 models using ABS as the TPMS sensor. I mention the codes because that's what was showing on the driver's console.

Hmm... come to think of it... I washed the car this weekend, Sunday to be exact and I used Eagle Tire Cleaners. Specifically I used the Eagle One Keep Clean product that suppose to repel brake dust. I also used it the weekend before the last time the accelerator disengaged. Two days later car accelerator disengages. Same thing happened this week. Two days later care accelerator disengages.

Ok, it's a stretch but I'm wondering if the chemicals in the Keep Clean product has an adverse effect on the brake pads making the rotors more slippery? And honestly the brakes on the car seem less touchy this week... yes it's a stretch...
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HAWC1506
However, get it checked immediately.
Called the dealer on the way home. Need a loaner car so the service tech I spoke with will call Enterprise first thing in the morning and if he can secure a car for me he'll have me drop off the car tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with the theory that the brake error is designed to dis-engage the gas. Same way as the car limits the rpms that can be attained if you rest your foot on the brake.

The good thing for you is that it threw a warning. That means codes should be stored and the fault should be relatively easy to troubleshoot. The Audi system is beautiful to behold when it works for fault recording and troubleshooting.

Good luck.

John.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

See your Toyota dealer, ASAP!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took the A4 into the dealership today. Got it back today as well. The service dept. found the error codes but didn't have an immediate solution. The service rep told me they believe it was a software glitch. They called Audi and were instructed to update the ECM as well as update the TCM SVM. Basically reinstall, reboot, and see if it happens again.

No issues driving home from the dealership, but my APR flash upgrade was overwritten.

Already called my APR installer. He doesn't think the APR flash caused the issue. Going to get the APR flash again. Just need to find the time.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, found this over at Audizine; http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post3754115

Looks like not clearing some codes after my APR ECU upgrade was the culprit. Not the ECU upgrade itself.

In any case, just got back from my tuner where they reinstalled the APR upgrade free of charge. They even made some other vag-com changes for me too.

I'm back to being very happy.