A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A bit of buyers remorse over H&R Sport Springs, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Rennsprt805
I just looked up the H&R springs that are available for your model car and there's at least 5 different configurations.
If you have the "sport springs" they're a street/track spring. They also have an "OE" which provides more of a lowered street ride.

I have Neuspeed springs installed in my car [A3] and I've been real happy with them. I'm not sure about the H&R's, but the Neuspeed spring is progressive meaning it has a progressive rate. And FWIW they are 2/3 the price of the H&R's

Before I bought my springs I contacted Neuspeed to find out how much they increase spring rate front & back. This can be important to get the desired results. I decided to keep the OE shocks and they're still performing well.
Now with a larger rear sway-bar and the sport springs, my car is neutral in the corners, handles like a slot car and all with a comfortable ride..

Yes I have the Sport Springs.

Wow, 2/3 the price? Where did you get them? I just checked neuspeed.com and they were $10 more than what I paid for the H&R springs on AWE. I guess I went with H&R because they seemed to be really popular with this car. I always buy popular parts that are heavily tested by the masses. More peace of mind for me.

Well I can't comment on Neuspeed since I don't have personal experience with them. But my car is by no means comfortable over bumps. Especially when I hit large [unavoidable] bumps on the highway. The whole system is now severly underdamped. Sportier shocks are definitely necessary here. The car shouldn't bounce up&down several times after you hit a bump. People have actually gotten kinda motion sick in my car since i had the springs in.

Yes I bought both front and rear sways with the springs, but after this last weekend at the track I realized I don't need them. Glad I haven't installed them yet, I'm going to return them. I'm fine with a little understeer, lol. I like a lower likelyhood to spin.

Body roll is drastically reduced with these springs. Similar to my friends that have invested over $2k on their suspensions. http://vanhap.com/imgs/2013/Septembe.../VP2_7577.html

Originally Posted by Rennsprt805
...to add

If I recall the S-Line option doesn't include sport suspension, [just special bumper covers a rear spoiler and badging]. The "Sport option" is a separate package...
Hmmm, well unless UK and USA define S-Line differently I think S-Line has a lower suspension. 20mm lower to be exact. I wonder if the shock is the same.
http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a4/a4...equipment.html
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audiSfour
Yes I have the Sport Springs.

Wow, 2/3 the price? Where did you get them? I just checked neuspeed.com and they were $10 more than what I paid for the H&R springs on AWE. I guess I went with H&R because they seemed to be really popular with this car. I always buy popular parts that are heavily tested by the masses. More peace of mind for me.

Well I can't comment on Neuspeed since I don't have personal experience with them. But my car is by no means comfortable over bumps. Especially when I hit large [unavoidable] bumps on the highway. The whole system is now severly underdamped. Sportier shocks are definitely necessary here. The car shouldn't bounce up&down several times after you hit a bump. People have actually gotten kinda motion sick in my car since i had the springs in.

Yes I bought both front and rear sways with the springs, but after this last weekend at the track I realized I don't need them. Glad I haven't installed them yet, I'm going to return them. I'm fine with a little understeer, lol. I like a lower likelyhood to spin.

Body roll is drastically reduced with these springs. Similar to my friends that have invested over $2k on their suspensions. http://vanhap.com/imgs/2013/Septembe.../VP2_7577.html

Hmmm, well unless UK and USA define S-Line differently I think S-Line has a lower suspension. 20mm lower to be exact. I wonder if the shock is the same.
http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a4/a4...equipment.html
re: S-Line; the height/OE springs may be different from one model to another. The US spec A3 S-line has standard springs which is why I changed mine. I'm not sure about the US spec. A4.

re: Shocks; yes, as mentioned a replacement sport shock should improve the ride. I have relatively low mileage on my car so the OE shocks are still up to the task.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The facelift ride height is the same in the US, sport or not. It looks a little lower than the non sport from previous years.