A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all:
Print Wikipost

CVT vs 8 Speed Tiptronic: How do they compare?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT vs 8 Speed Tiptronic: How do they compare?

I'm looking at replacing my 2002 A4 with a 2011 model.

I drove a loaner 8 Speed Tiptronic the other day and fell in love with it. The transmission was amazing, how fast is changed gears and how low the RPMs were when cruising around, made the car/engine noise very quiet.

I have never driven the CVT model but am curious how it compares as there are a lot more resale CVT models than 8 speeds.

How is the acceleration on both, especially in the 40-60MPH range? How are the RMPs when on the highway at 70MPH?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HX_Guy
I'm looking at replacing my 2002 A4 with a 2011 model.

I drove a loaner 8 Speed Tiptronic the other day and fell in love with it. The transmission was amazing, how fast is changed gears and how low the RPMs were when cruising around, made the car/engine noise very quiet.

I have never driven the CVT model but am curious how it compares as there are a lot more resale CVT models than 8 speeds.

How is the acceleration on both, especially in the 40-60MPH range? How are the RMPs when on the highway at 70MPH?
I haven't driven a CVT in a while. However, I did drive one in the previous generation A4 and HATED it. I have a 2011 A5 tip and am happy with it. You should drive both but I cannot imagine the CVT will compare well.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, for those who have driven both...how does the new 8 Speed Tiptronic compare to the old 6 Speed Tiptronic?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RPM @ 70MPH is around 1800-1900rpm. At cruise speeds during long drives I will constantly get 35-37mpg readings from the computer read out.

I don't have anything to compare 40-60 mph to but in most situations I find its good on the highway.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dropped my 09 B8 6 speed Tip Quattro off for service a few weeks back and they gave me a 10 B8 CVT and it was horrible. It has some punch off the line but on the higher end of the power band I felt it was pretty gutless. It is the furthest thing from the smooth ride I was used to in mine.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea, after different things Ive read, I've pretty much ruled out the CVT model.

I'm actually looking at the 6 speed tiptronic as well, which means I can expand my search to the 2009 and 2010 models...seems like I can get a better value.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't mind the CVT too much in my 2003. But I think the new 8-speed has come a long way and is probably better in most areas. My only CVT complaint delt with a tendancy to lug or feel lazy to downshift when you punched it.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Some people have claimed the CVT is more likely to develop problems than the tip tranny.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

The CVT will have problems with performance upgrades, if you plan on that. For example, Stasis will not apply ECU tunes to cars with CVT.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Crucible35
I dropped my 09 B8 6 speed Tip Quattro off for service a few weeks back and they gave me a 10 B8 CVT and it was horrible. It has some punch off the line but on the higher end of the power band I felt it was pretty gutless. It is the furthest thing from the smooth ride I was used to in mine.
My experience is completely contrary to this. I own a CVT, and if anything, off the line (in D mode)it is sluggish. On the highway, punching it will throw you in your seat.

Putting it in S mode allows for quicker off the line response but hangs on to higher rpms too much for my taste and needs.

Oh...and if you choose any other tuner besides Stasis, your car will be defunct of warranty anyway if a snarky dealer finds out.

Keep in mind that if you pay double for the Stasis tune, your warranty is with them, not Audi, so its not guaranteed all rainbows and sunshine either.

If you live in a nasty climate, quattro makes sense. I just don't see the general appeal of it when living in the South for the majority of applications though . Perhaps if one raced it every weekend or something.

Be honest with what your real-world application is and test drive both versions. Experiment with different drive modes of each and make an unemotional decision not fueled by internet forum testosterone. You'll be happier in the long run.

My FWD A4 is a daily commuter and I'm far more a feather foot than a lead one. Like most, I enjoy the occasional on-ramp punch or pass on the highway. 95%+ of the time, my car gets driven very conservatively.

Oh BTW, my CVT is tuned too....

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 03-27-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: CVT vs 8 Speed Tiptronic: How do they compare?