A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2013 B8.5 A4 quattro (CPMA flex fuel engine, early build car April 2012) developed a sudden thirst for oil just after rolling past 80k when it previously had ZERO oil consumption issues. The cheapest "fix" is usually a new PCV valve as a faulty valve will cause excess vacuum pressure in the crank case and suck oil out from the cam cover and into the intake. That didn't help with my car at all. With upcoming major service items and the prospect of possibly a bad turbo or piston ring job, I landed up trading it in.

TL: DR Before having someone tear your engine apart, replace your PCV valve first (~$200 for OEM part) and see if it helps with consumption. This was Audi's "Stage 1" fix for 2009-11 cars that had excessive oil consumption problems. In addition, the post 2011 PCVs are known to have problems as Audi issued a service action for my 2013 to replace the diaphragm and spring on the factory PCV back in 2015-16 (look up "Emissions Service Action 17F9").
Old 10-28-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skysis
At the risk of repeating what has already been said, I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with Audi addressing the issue with a 2012 A4? I know that the class action only covered vehicles through 2011, and now has expired. I spoke to them today, and found them to be very reluctant to say anything before the oil consumption test is done. They did mention that the early 2012 models were affected by this problem, however. I know the car will fail the test, so can anyone advise as to what may be the next step on Audi's part? Should I even bother, and just trade the thing in, skipping the aggravation & cost (around $200-300)? Thanks.
Write to Audi Germany directly. I live in Argentina and fixed the Oil Comsuption issue on my 2010 2.0T by writing directly to them. One week later I received their answer informing me that Audi Argentina would contact me. They did and required to take the car to a local dealer for the test which I did and they finally changed pistons, rings and connecting rods. I was sencond owner, had skipped three Audi services, and finaly fixed the issue by paying 30% of the total repair costs which it was the same price as the three services I had skipped. They did the repair at the end of 2016 with 54000 kms on the car.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A4 2012 - Confirmed Pistol Rings Needed

Hi all,

I’ve been following this forum since my car started asking for oil every 800 miles or so. I ended up taking it in for an oil consumption test. The test ended up costing $600. However, I had to pay for all the diagnostic stuff at the dealership to be able to put in a request with corporate to cover part of it. After they concluded the test they found that I need new piston rings. The total they gave me for that was $5100. They put in a request with corporate and Audi US agreed to pay for 75% of it. I would have preferred that they paid 100% seeing as I only have 80k on my car and this really shouldn’t happen so early. However, I’m okay with paying a bit to not have to deal with more negotiations. I hope this helps others as they might be navigating the same issue with their 2012 A4.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=Sara Wall;25239585]
Hi all,

I’ve been following this forum since my car started asking for oil every 800 miles or so. I ended up taking it in for an oil consumption test. The test ended up costing $600. However, I had to pay for all the diagnostic stuff at the dealership to be able to put in a request with corporate to cover part of it. After they concluded the test they found that I need new piston rings. The total they gave me for that was $5100. They put in a request with corporate and Audi US agreed to pay for 75% of it. I would have preferred that they paid 100% seeing as I only have 80k on my car and this really shouldn’t happen so early. However, I’m okay with paying a bit to not have to deal with more negotiations. I hope this helps others as they might be navigating the same issue with their 2012 A4. I’ll also add that they check to see that you’ve maintained all your service intervals at the dealership. I think that helped me get a higher percentage paid by the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
backstabber (05-23-2020)
Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=Sara Wall;25239588]
[QUOTE=Sara Wall;25239585]
Hi all,

I’ve been following this forum since my car started asking for oil every 800 miles or so. I ended up taking it in for an oil consumption test. The test ended up costing $600. However, I had to pay for all the diagnostic stuff at the dealership to be able to put in a request with corporate to cover part of it. After they concluded the test they found that I need new piston rings. The total they gave me for that was $5100. They put in a request with corporate and Audi US agreed to pay for 75% of it. I would have preferred that they paid 100% seeing as I only have 80k on my car and this really shouldn’t happen so early. However, I’m okay with paying a bit to not have to deal with more negotiations. I hope this helps others as they might be navigating the same issue with their 2012 A4. I’ll also add that they check to see that you’ve maintained all your service intervals at the dealership. I think that helped me get a higher percentage paid by corporate.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I tried to find a more general thread on this oil consumption issue.

My car: 2011 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T with 48,000 miles.
  • We baby this car, and don't drive it much. (~8,000 miles/year... but driving it less in recent years) but the car won't make it the full year between my regular maintenance. Maybe a top up or two.
  • I went and did an oil consumption test in the past month and they've determined we are using 0.21 quarts every 1,000 miles. (0.198 Litres)
Is there a better thread/site that lays out the terms of the class action and audi remedies?
  • For us who have relatively low mileage, it seems odd that the warrantee coverage would expire. When we get to the mileage that some of you are at, I can expect us to be experiencing similar issues.... But, at that time the repairs would be on us???
  • The PCV valve went a year ago... so perhaps this will settle the oil consumption down a little.
I can see why many are on this thread.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
I tried to find a more general thread on this oil consumption issue.

My car: 2011 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T with 48,000 miles.
  • We baby this car, and don't drive it much. (~8,000 miles/year... but driving it less in recent years) but the car won't make it the full year between my regular maintenance. Maybe a top up or two.
  • I went and did an oil consumption test in the past month and they've determined we are using 0.21 quarts every 1,000 miles. (0.198 Litres)
Is there a better thread/site that lays out the terms of the class action and audi remedies?
  • For us who have relatively low mileage, it seems odd that the warrantee coverage would expire. When we get to the mileage that some of you are at, I can expect us to be experiencing similar issues.... But, at that time the repairs would be on us???
  • The PCV valve went a year ago... so perhaps this will settle the oil consumption down a little.
I can see why many are on this thread.
You don't even come close to the oil consumption issue. Normal consumption considered by Audi is 1 quart in 1200 miles. So when you get to 1 quart usage in less then 1000 miles then you should start being concerned about what you will do in the future. Unfortunately you won't fall into the Audi law suit so when the time comes you either will need to keep feeding it oil or sell it. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

taxman1 how many miles do you have now ? and any oil consumption issues? Looking at a 2012 but dont know build date yet. I thought 2012 and 2013 was safe but apparently not.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 A4 Avant Oil Consumption

Same issue as everyone. CAEB engine code was the problematic one. Mine manufactured in Oct 2011 before fix implemented. Quart of oil every 600 miles. Got the test done. Dealer says it is as bad as any they have seen. AoA says "sucks for you". Audi is just an organization full of bad people. They had to be sued to fix this for 2007-11 engines and now deny that 2012 is their problem. Oh, and they come over to the USA and implement a software run-around to evade our Clean Air Act. Bad car. Bad engine. Bad people. I will never own another and tell the world they are a joke (except joke is on me).
Old 02-25-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default OH YEAH

I forgot - I am putting in my 5th (!!!!!) water pump in two years.

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model