A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Touch Free Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scotty

Scotty,
Could you clarify your post a bit. Are you saying that non-contact washes usually use a strong Traffic Film Remover?

--plA4keeps

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
For a non-contact wash to get your car clean if will have to use a strong Traffic Film Remover. The problem with TFR's is generally then remove everything including any wax or protection on your car.... in fact that's the same as most cheap car washes.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Self-service car washes in Rochester, NY?

Can any of you Audi owners tell me if there is a self-service car wash in (or around) Rochester, NY? I would really like to continue handwashing during the winter if at all possible. I've heard that places might even have heated bays.

Thanks in advance.

-- plA4keeps
Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by plA4keeps
Can any of you Audi owners tell me if there is a self-service car wash in (or around) Rochester, NY? I would really like to continue handwashing during the winter if at all possible. I've heard that places might even have heated bays.
Heated bays and able to handwash would be such a nice treat. I think I have one more chance at washing outside coming up this weekend - supposed to be warm.

It is either wandwash or touchless here. I think that the laser touchless is easier on the car than the wand, but I am not sure about the cleaners in the touchless. As said above - they might strip the wax and end up being worse than wand.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wandwash?

Spacecadet,
What is a "wandwash"?

-- plA4keeps

Originally Posted by Spacecadet_CC
Heated bays and able to handwash would be such a nice treat. I think I have one more chance at washing outside coming up this weekend - supposed to be warm.

It is either wandwash or touchless here. I think that the laser touchless is easier on the car than the wand, but I am not sure about the cleaners in the touchless. As said above - they might strip the wax and end up being worse than wand.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plA4keeps
Spacecadet,
What is a "wandwash"?

-- plA4keeps
It's a self-service car wash bay with a pressure-washer-style wand hooked up to a hose. You can dispense soap through the wand as well as rinse with it with high-pressure water. There is usually also a separate wand with a brush at the end for scrubbing the car while dispensing soap.

I would never let such a brush touch my car, particularly a black car.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

you know, in NH I've never found a touchless that did a good job in winter, and it's just too cold up here to try to wash in one of these garages.

I try to find a car wash that does a couple things:

1. Has someone to power rinse the car right before it goes in the wash cycle. This gets the worst stuff off right away, and gets the difficult stuff on front and back wet to loosen it a bit for later.
2. Drops a ton of soap on the car in the beginning, just covers everything totally.
3. Has very soft cloth washing strips that don't rotate too fast when they're hitting the car. But bottom line, just like washing with a sponge, it's always better to have some contact. This is especially true in winter when the salt gets layered in there.
4. Has a powerful undercarriege wash.
5. Has high speed blowers for the dryers that never touch the car.

With this combo, I've never gotten my car scratched. Maybe I've just been lucky??