A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Trying to figure out which MMI and a Music related issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to figure out which MMI and a Music related issue

Hi all

Just registered on the site as I've almost given up trying to get a little issue sorted with my Audi A4. My A4 was first registered in 2013, is a A4 Black Edition and has an MMI system (not sure which version) which works brilliantly. However, I have 3 questions which I need some help with and hoping someone here has experienced the same issue as me.

1) Which MMI version do I have? I have an Audi Concert stereo, with an MMI in my glove box. I've taken a photo (attached) and I'm hoping someone can tell me which MMI version I have.
2) Is there an update available for my MMI (according to my local dealership - there is no update available but I overheard them saying there was - not sure if I'm being fed 'fake news' as I wasn't paying for the update (outside of warranty)
3) My MMI sees my music from my phone (One Plus 6) and plays it but no sound comes out of my speakers - but my speakers are fine as my radio and phone work perfectly fine with audio output.

Thanks in advance guys. Appreciate the time and effort going into a reply.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

sorry - forgot to mention - for Q3, I'm connecting my phone using a lightning connector (audi MMI connector) with a USB cable.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think there is a separate volume control for AMI media source, try increasing while playing. Also note that the interface in the glove box is called AMI (Audi Music Interface) not MMI.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi audi8k

Do you by any chance know where this additional volume is. Currently sat in the car trying to figure thisnout.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,586 Posts

If you have audio controls on the dash like a normal car radio, and not around the gear shifter, then I believe you do not have MMI. You'll have a Chorus, Concert, or Symphony audio system, or a BNS or RNS navigation+audio system.
This web page seems very helpful: https://smartworldcompany.com/audi-e...ad-unit-guide/
If you do have the controls around the shifter, then you have MMI, and can determine which using the information in this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2mUmxFPWBQ
Your version screen information does not seem to match any of the MMI options. A 2013 would have MMI 3G if it had MMI.

The media interface in the glove box is called AMI, and can be a part of a number of the various systems.
For my MMI system, the various audio settings like fade and surround are per source, but I do not remember volume being one of those.
How is the phone connected? Via the hands free bluetooth, via AMI bluetooth, or via an AMI physical cable?
Old 07-03-2018, 12:57 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a Concert system, so no MMI. I believe you will need a bluetooth adaptor to play music from your phone. The bluetooth connection that may have come with your car will only work with the phone connection and doesn't interface with the audio. You will need something like a Tune2Air adaptor.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks jfo. Was hopefuing to avoid that. It is strange that the tracks play and everything on the AMI but no sound comes out of the speakers.

Oh well.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:19 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Madagasca
Thanks jfo. Was hopefuing to avoid that. It is strange that the tracks play and everything on the AMI but no sound comes out of the speakers.

Oh well.
Yes, it's disappointing that a car like Audi didn't have this capability as standard, even a few a years ago. I'm not sure if current models now have this as standard, but it wasn't in 2013.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

OP is connecting with lightning cable to AMI. As I understand it, the songs show up and seems to play on the media display. So the problem is not a missing A2DP (wireless) functionality.
My memory of a separate volume control might only be related to (analogue) Aux input. but check "Settings" while playing. What else can be wrong?