A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Auto Park when turning off

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I figured it out with the loaner automatic:
If you're in Drive and press the button to turn the car off, the parking brake engages every time even on a flat road.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sprior
If you're in Drive and press the button to turn the car off, the parking brake engages every time even on a flat road.
It does. Atleast, for me.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
It does. Atleast, for me.
If you press the start/stop button while in drive (stopped, of course), the parking brake engages. if you open the door while in drive (stopped, of course), the parking brake engages. If you press the P button on the shifter and then press the start/stop button, the parking brake does not engage. It took me about three months to figure this out.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by blorzoga
If you press the start/stop button while in drive (stopped, of course), the parking brake engages. if you open the door while in drive (stopped, of course), the parking brake engages. If you press the P button on the shifter and then press the start/stop button, the parking brake does not engage. It took me about three months to figure this out.
Hehe. Again. Yes. I've tried these combinations. Another favorite feature of mine is how we can use the parking brake as a manual hill hold kinda thing. I find it very useful especially since Audi cars in America don't have hill hold (stupid omission) whereas my X3 does and I use it in the X3. Come to a stop at lights, let the shifter remain in D, pull up the hand brake button and it stays put without you having to rest your foot on the brake pedal. When the light turns green, all you have to do is accelerate and the parking brake disengages automatically. I know many of you might know it and it's not a new/hidden feature but I like that cuz it is very useful for me.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blorzoga
If you press the start/stop button while in drive (stopped, of course), the parking brake engages.
As stated, not all of the time with my car, and I perform the exact same routine every day...
Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprior
"xacthly!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cuke2u
As stated, not all of the time with my car, and I perform the exact same routine every day...
Wonder why that is. Works for my car every single time irrespective of where I park it!
Old 09-23-2017, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Hehe. Again. Yes. I've tried these combinations. Another favorite feature of mine is how we can use the parking brake as a manual hill hold kinda thing. I find it very useful especially since Audi cars in America don't have hill hold (stupid omission) whereas my X3 does and I use it in the X3. Come to a stop at lights, let the shifter remain in D, pull up the hand brake button and it stays put without you having to rest your foot on the brake pedal. When the light turns green, all you have to do is accelerate and the parking brake disengages automatically. I know many of you might know it and it's not a new/hidden feature but I like that cuz it is very useful for me.
Agree on the hill hold. Had it on my Merc and used it often. Do you know when using the parking brake switch in park, if the brake lights stay on once you remove your foot? It did in the Merc.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave788
Agree on the hill hold. Had it on my Merc and used it often. Do you know when using the parking brake switch in park, if the brake lights stay on once you remove your foot? It did in the Merc.
The brake lights will not stay on using this method, but if you have the adaptive cruise control option, you can activate it when already stopped at a red light and the system will hold the brake for you and the brake lights will stay on too. I use this option all the time at long lights and then set the speed to the speed limit of that road so that when I hit resume the car will basically drive itself adapting to the current traffic conditions.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dave788
The brake light does not stay on because you aren’t using the brake pedal. Only the EHB.