A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Does "Audi Pre Sense" detect rear-end collision?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does "Audi Pre Sense" detect rear-end collision?

So I was sitting stopped at a red light yesterday afternoon waiting for the light to go green when the seat belt suddenly tightened up and the "Audi Pre Sense" warning message was displayed on the VC display. There was a car slowly approaching behind me. Does the Pre Sense detect/react to potential rear-end collisions? This may have been the 4th time Audi Pre Sense has gone bonkers and detected something that it should not have.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, think it will close windows and moonroof also.

Sensitivity can be set in the MMI. Or you can turn it off.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

From the Audi Webpage:

"On some Audi models, pre sense front incorporates an additional function to protect against impending rear-end collisions in the lower speed range. At speeds under 30 km/h (18.64 mph) the function automatically decelerates the car if necessary with full force – regardless of whether the vehicle in front is moving or stationary. Under 20 km/h (12.43 mph) the new function can often prevent the accident entirely. In other cases it significantly reduces collision speed."
Old 04-23-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
From the Audi Webpage:

"On some Audi models, pre sense front incorporates an additional function to protect against impending rear-end collisions i...
That's pre-sense front, when you're about to rear-end someone in front of you. I believe the question was about being hit from behind, when stopped. On the Audi site:

Audi pre sense rear uses radar sensors in the rear bumper to detect an impending rear-end collision, and it initiates preventive safety measures. These include pretensioning the front seat belts by electric power and closing the windows and sliding sunroof. In addition, the system activates the hazard warning lights to alert following traffic to the critical situation. In this process, the Rear-end collision alert signal (RECAS) is triggered, which flashes the hazard warning lights at a high frequency. Audi pre sense rear is active in background over the car’s entire driving speed range with the exception of trailer towing situations.

Last edited by PghRich; 04-23-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by PghRich
That's pre-sense front, when you're about to rear-end someone in front of you. I believe the question was about being hit from behind, when stopped. On the Audi site:
Youre right, I was reading it wrong(brain still thinks its Monday). Thanks for posting the correct information.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had it activate when driving on a residential street at 25mph when a fool sped past me on the left. Chime, belts tensioned, windows rolled up.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

A 2018 A4 has Presense Front as standard (Basic and City)
Presense Rear was standard on the Premium Plus
Old 04-25-2019, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not want to have to, but I disabled 'Presense' yesterday. I'm tired of the number of stupid "Crazy Ivans" the Audi Presense has instigated in the 9 months I have owned the car. Not once was it a valid scenario to Presense to be activated. And I had it at the lowest sensitivity setting.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Onewolf42
I did not want to have to, but I disabled 'Presense' yesterday. I'm tired of the number of stupid "Crazy Ivans" the Audi Presense has instigated in the 9 months I have owned the car. Not once was it a valid scenario to Presense to be activated. And I had it at the lowest sensitivity setting.
I’ve owned my A4 with all available Audi Pre-Sense features for 10 months now and have never once had it go off on me mistakenly. Odd that you’ve had so many false triggers with yours. I have mine set to the soonest warning trigger too.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my A4 for a year with presense enabled and for early warning. I have received only 2 alerts which I would consider inaccurate. One was when a car was parked halfway on the shoulder and the road was curing to the right. The system "saw" the car as stationary in my lane. The other was one which I still am not sure what to think. I was turning left with more than adequate room to avoid oncoming traffic (like 40 yards). The car immediately braked hard to a stop. I was very thankful that I wasn't rear-ended. Of note is that I was facing directly into the sun in the late afternoon so that may have impacted the cameras.