A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Next car -- what are your plans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

As I'm retired now, putting 5-8k/year, and haven't had a sub-200K car since....hmmm...'97 328i?... I hope not to need to answer that until the 2030's, if ever.

Last edited by PghRich; 12-22-2023 at 06:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dseag2 (12-16-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Jeff,
I have had Porsches, several BMWs & even an Acura CL Type S !! I got my first Audi, the A6 listed in my signature & been an Audi guy since. Hands down the S4 is the best car I have ever had, although the A6 was close! The S4 can be a comfortable, quiet highway cruiser or sporty performance machine. Not much of a boy racer look to it, which suits me fine.
The following users liked this post:
lowjdml (12-23-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I won't get an EV until the prices are even and the weight is closer. So that will be 20-30 years until that happens.

I'm not interested in a hybrid either. Too complicated and too many things to go bad. All for a few MPG.

I would get another Audi ICE though. I really love my car. But they are jamming the EV's down our throats...
Old 12-13-2023, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

We have two cars in the household and bought an e-tron 55 SUV a couple of years ago as a vehicle for local driving only since the public fast-charging infrastructure is terrible. It's a heavy pig of a vehicle, but it is a nice ride and with a 40A charger in our garage it's honestly pretty convenient. It has been very reliable, but the depreciation is horrible. We plan to keep it for eight years until the battery warranty and extended warranty expire and then replace it with hopefully a much better EV.

We use the B9 allroad for local driving and long trips. We will be replacing the allroad in 1-2 years with either an ICE, PHEV or conventional hybrid, but not a second EV. Ideally its replacement will be fuel efficient and hitch-friendly for bike racks and towing small trailers. So probably an Audi or Volvo station wagon. Maybe a BMW wagon if one is available. Perhaps the new hybrid Land Cruiser if the MPGs are high enough.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator6
Jeff,
I have had Porsches, several BMWs & even an Acura CL Type S !! I got my first Audi, the A6 listed in my signature & been an Audi guy since. Hands down the S4 is the best car I have ever had, although the A6 was close! The S4 can be a comfortable, quiet highway cruiser or sporty performance machine. Not much of a boy racer look to it, which suits me fine.
Appreciate the input, thanks. Acura back in the day was wonderful. Sadly, Honda/Acura have lost their way IMHO. I love my /15 A6 3.0T -- that supercharged engine is like a small American V8 from the good old days. My concern with the 3.0 litre Audi engine now is the change from S/C to turbo -- how's the lag in the S4?

Best,
Jeff
Old 12-14-2023, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Minimal lag in normal drive mode. Even a bit quicker than my S/C A6, mostly due to lighter weight, I guess. In Sport Mode - NO lag. You need to drive one! If you can find a lightly used S4(engine broken in) to test drive, I think you'll be impressed.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2017 A4 PP with 120k miles. It has been rock solid. My wife's Veloster is getting a little long in the tooth, so I'm thinking about giving her my A4 and picking up a one or two year old used S4 or S5 Prestige. (I have been leaning to the S5, but a comment upthread about Sportback noise has me a little worried.) I'm hoping that once the new platform comes out, used B9s will come a little cheaper.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:15 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
I have a 2017 A4 PP with 120k miles. It has been rock solid. My wife's Veloster is getting a little long in the tooth, so I'm thinking about giving her my A4 and picking up a one or two year old used S4 or S5 Prestige. (I have been leaning to the S5, but a comment upthread about Sportback noise has me a little worried.) I'm hoping that once the new platform comes out, used B9s will come a little cheaper.
What sportback noise? Besides the difference in exhaust sound, our S5 sportback rides just as quietly as our A4 Allroad. Both are Prestige models.

We owned a couple A4 sedans before our current cars. My main issue with them is the difference in cargo space between the sportback and the sedan because of the amount of space the rear parcel shelf takes up.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeru
What sportback noise? Besides the difference in exhaust sound, our S5 sportback rides just as quietly as our A4 Allroad. Both are Prestige models.

We owned a couple A4 sedans before our current cars. My main issue with them is the difference in cargo space between the sportback and the sedan because of the amount of space the rear parcel shelf takes up.
From post 8: "Jeff, I too prefer the sedan. I had a SB but the sedan is quieter & doesn't have the frameless windows."
Old 12-14-2023, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with the A4 being being quieter than an A5 SB. I had 2 A5 SBs and moved back to an A4 Prestige. With the double pane front windows it is extremely well insulated from wind and road noise, unlike the A5s that always sounded like a window was left open. I love the styling and functionality of the SBs but the frameless doors always felt a bit flimsy to me and something about the height of the front seats; I could never get the seat low enough. It always felt like they lowered the roofline on the SB but the seat height stayed the same as on the A4 chassis.

I took the plunge a year ago and ordered a '23 A4 Prestige in District Green with the Atlas Beige interior and I love it. Quick, quiet, fun to drive and a comfortable ride with the 18" wheels and gets great fuel economy.
The following 2 users liked this post by gAy5:
Aviator6 (12-14-2023), lowjdml (12-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Next car -- what are your plans?