A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Next car -- what are your plans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 10:43 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

It's interesting to me that people have noticed that much of a difference. Are we talking road noise, wind noise, or another type of noise? "Quieter" is certainly subjective unless you have a way of measuring interior noise levels. And can be affected by exhaust sound, tires, paved surface, weather conditions, and probably several other factors. Again, besides the exhaust sounds, I honestly didn't notice that our S5 is noticeably louder than our A4 Allroad. It didn't even occur to me to try and notice any difference in sound to be honest. We have no issues with having conversations in either car. And no need to turn up the volume when going from slow to fast driving. I think I'd have noticed If there was a significant difference. Since we have winter tires on both cars now, any comparisons for me will have to wait until spring time LOL.
Old 12-14-2023, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts

Aviator thanks for your input.
Mikeru -- how is pricing these days? I'm a member of the Audi Club of America -- 6% discount off MSRP if dealer participates in the program. I have not had a conversation with my dealer yet but I'm curious how your discussions regarding pricing went. Thx.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2023, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is road noise coming seeping in from the frameless windows and the relatively open rear cargo area. (I realize there is the cargo cover but I'm not sure how much noise it is actually keeping out.) It was a noticeable difference going from a hatchback configuration to a sedan. I've even had people comment about the silence of the car on calls made while driving using Bluetooth. I've had 2 avants and as much as I loved them there always seemed to be more noise coming in from the rear of the car than that of a sedan.

There is also a noticeable difference with the quality of the "thud" sound the door makes when closing on the sedan vs. the SB. I realize these are all small details but stuff like that, for better or worse, really seem to affect my perception of the overall solidity of a car.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:18 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Aviator thanks for your input.
Mikeru -- how is pricing these days? I'm a member of the Audi Club of America -- 6% discount off MSRP if dealer participates in the program. I have not had a conversation with my dealer yet but I'm curious how your discussions regarding pricing went. Thx.

Jeff
We bought both cars at the end of summer this year, so that may not represent current pricing. The dealership was not very willing to budge on asking price. We were able to get a couple grand off MSRP in addition to the Costco discount, but that's about it. We didn't know about the Audi Club of America discount so we didn't take advantage of that.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mikeru, thanks for the information. When things ease up at the fun factory (aka the office), I'll make some inquiries. The good old days are certainly gone. When we bought my wife's /18 A4 Quattro, SP, PP, etc. it had a sticker price of 49,000 and change -- can't remember exact number but was in excess of 49K. Sale price was 40K + tax. I should have bought 2 and mothballed one. LOL. I think that the only thing I might have going for me now is that few want a sedan these days. I'll post with some information once I embark on the mission for what it is worth.
Best,
Jeff
Old 12-14-2023, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Bring back the 6MT
The following users liked this post:
Blakard (12-17-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by black.cat
Bring back the 6MT
Black.cat, FYI for your reading enjoyment check out the thread about the psychology of MT lovers on the 992 board of Rennlist. It is pretty amusing. I'm a big 3 pedal fan as well. The PDK in the current iteration of the 911 is very good and the car is faster with the PDK (if you care about those things -- I don't) but the level of driver involvement with a manual transmission is what I love.

If you are indeed a manual lover try a Honda S2000 if you have never driven one -- sublime. The old NSX or the S2000 will make an Audi manual feel like.............a tractor (sorry, despite the fact have two Audis and a new 911 in the fleet, the /94 NSX is the one I will never part with and [gasp] I have thought about bidding the 911 adieu, pulling my equity out of it and acquiring a minty low mile S2000 -- they are just bags of fun in a very approachable way). OK, love of Honda of the /90s and 00s rant over, LOL. Sadly both Acura and Honda have pretty much lost their way IMHO.

Best,
Jeff

Old 12-16-2023, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Black.cat, FYI for your reading enjoyment check out the thread about the psychology of MT lovers on the 992 board of Rennlist. It is pretty amusing. I'm a big 3 pedal fan as well. The PDK in the current iteration of the 911 is very good and the car is faster with the PDK (if you care about those things -- I don't) but the level of driver involvement with a manual transmission is what I love.

If you are indeed a manual lover try a Honda S2000 if you have never driven one -- sublime. The old NSX or the S2000 will make an Audi manual feel like.............a tractor (sorry, despite the fact have two Audis and a new 911 in the fleet, the /94 NSX is the one I will never part with and [gasp] I have thought about bidding the 911 adieu, pulling my equity out of it and acquiring a minty low mile S2000 -- they are just bags of fun in a very approachable way). OK, love of Honda of the /90s and 00s rant over, LOL. Sadly both Acura and Honda have pretty much lost their way IMHO.

Best,
Jeff

thx Jeff I’ll give it a read. I’ve never owned a 2 pedal car. Three were Hondas- 91 Accord coupe, 00 Civic Si, 06 RSX-S. After then, Honda lost its way and I jumped to Audi. My ‘18 A4 P+ 6MT is proper quick (w/BMS JB1), but it’s not speed I’m chasing. I need the driver engagement you can only get with a manual gearbox. I’d prefer to stick with an AWD sedan, but if has two pedals it’s just not for me. The 911, 718, EMIRA, M3 - on my list. But without AWD it’s harder to pull the trigger. I’d probably even pick up an ol RS4 before jumping off the boat.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

No plans for a replacement. I love our '23 Mazda CX-30 but we don't need another one. I briefly considered a new Mazda CX-5 Carbon Turbo in Zircon Sand but remembered how uncomfortable the seats were. I briefly considered the Genesis G60 but it is looking a bit "meh" now. I haven't found anything to replace the all-around goodness of my A4, and with less than 33k miles I doubt I will.
The following users liked this post:
lowjdml (12-23-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember when I left my 4spd rabbit (yep) for a 5spd "90 Civic SI.... The shifting was incredible. And I was still driving the 86 Scirrocco at the time. Since owning multiple VW with stick nothing has even come close despite tons of mods...Still, unless VAG brings stick back in the form of a VW or Audi without having to import a Euro I'm sticking with what I got... it will age and technology wise be inferior however that's just less distractions while driving. Drove a Edge for work and between fighting the steering wheel when the sensors thought I was too close to the lane dividers or the flashing displays telling me I'm too close to the vehicle in front of me 3 parcects away or the two foot long display that I caught myself staring at for two long trying to shut off the seat heater I can understand the increase in car accidents despite the car nannies..I just gonna keep my 17 til I win the lottery... then I will find a 2022 TTRS and swap the transmission out of a 7speed manual Porche and put in a bigger turbo lol

Quick Reply: Next car -- what are your plans?