A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Hi Hope someone can help with Installing replacement alternator A4 B6 3.0 cabriolet !

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Hope someone can help with Installing replacement alternator A4 B6 3.0 cabriolet !

Hi

This is my first post here and I have read a ton of interesting information here - it's a great forum!

Anyway, I recently purchased a 2005 A4 quattro cabriolet 3.0 with 5 speed auto box. The car had been vandalized and not looked after so I've taken it's repairs as a project (call it a labour of love)!!

Anyways, the alternator has had to be replaced as the bearings are shot.

I took the old one out (Bosch 150 amp) and compared the alternators side by side and measured them etc and they are identical.

My problem is I cannot get the alternator to go onto the main bracket. It seems an incredibly tight fit. I have tried tapping it into place (with a hammer using a wood buffer), gently jacking it and still no joy

I have the car in service lock position and it took me all of an hour to remove the unit.

I am working on a flat concrete surface and the replacement alternator is in situ.

I initially attached the alternator via the bottom bolt and the darn thing would not slot into place at the top.

I suspect that I will have to detach the coolant tube circlip and hose to ensure the pulley gets more room as I think it could be causing the unit to be not entirely straight, hence the difficulty in getting it to fit.

I'm going to try again tomorrow (after 3 hours today and pure frustration).

I was also going to use a tyre jack (threaded) to gradually lift the unit into position.

I tried with a 1.5 ton trolley jack and there wasn't enough room and I feel more comfortable using a screw thread triangle jack as I don't want to crack the housing. I'm using a jack as I don't have the strength to keep holding and pushing etc.

Are there any tips/tricks that I am missing, do's and or don'ts.

I would appreciate your help and or suggestions.

Thanks in advance